Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Along the Blue Spruce Routes to the USA

Lovely trip and lovely airplane.

I wonder, did you ever re-encounter that Cheetah? I do find it remarkable that someone would do a trip like this in an airplane that size and speed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes ! I kept in contact via SMS. They incurred further delays. They flew to Narsarsuaq but then returned north to Nuuk or Kangerlussuaq before crossing to Iqaluit. I gave hime contact details on the refuelling along the way. I think they arrived in Oshkosh when I was about to leave and got back to Europe about a week after us. They made it!
I will document

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Cool stuff @Niner_Mike!
Thanks for the reports, and keep them coming… sure keeps some memories alive

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, thanks! It does bring memories of Frobisher Bay, Kuujuak and Schefferville which we routed via a few years back. We just did not manage barrel refuelling as precisely as you did! I bet some local guy is still using our redundant fuel in his snowmobile! In reality we did give that remaining fuel away to a nearby Piper Chieftain at Iqualuit, but not so at Kuujuak!

It is quite a charging array you have there. Very interesting the weather flying you had to do on your border crossing and the impromptu inReach messaging assistance you got! In that part of the world I was succesfully using in flight the ADL140 both for enroute weather outlook as well as messaging from “ground crew”. Would you care to elaborate on a comparison, since you had both systems available to you?

Thanks for the very interesting reading and congrats on having your son sharing and enjoying it with you.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Check out how we arrived at Oshkosh via the Fisk arrival, plus our first impressions of the show:

https://www.abeam.be/day-5-we-made-it-to-oshosh-katw-kosh-along-the-blue-spruce-routes-to-the-usa/

Thank you for your reactions :)

Abeam the Flying Dream

Again thanks for the report @Niner_Mike, and glad you enjoyed your arrival at KOSH, and probably AirVenture itself.

As a side note, AirVenture, and generally speaking Americans, are the best at organising an event.
So, once more, all my gratitude to the 1000’s of volunteers making this happening, year after year, thanks to all!

But one thing which hasn’t changed over the years, is this Notice (ok, it used to be called NOTAM) and its related arrival procedure… I guess it makes ATC’s life easier, but is certainly not the safest. There are other problems pertaining to the World Busiest Control Tower, but I will not go into details here. Suffice to say that despite having 3 (and 1/2 counting the UL one, ah, there’s also the Pioneer one reserved for the museum ) runways at disposal, there is only 1 approach procedure for them all, and that is questionable to say the least surprising.
Flying the 90KIAS/1’800ft during my visit last year certainly was a mistake, as I flew for close to 25 minutes at 80-85KIAS, at some inefficient cooling, hi AOA, and hi FF, behind some slower Cub type aircraft, or pilots just enjoying the view into the mekka
OTOH, and as you mention, taking the faster higher line introduces the risk of having to rejoin into the main line, from above, which in a low wing aircraft is far from ideal.

And looking forward to the next instalment

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

@Antonio : with regards to the satelliet connectivity, I guessed I did overdo it a bit.
I am a very satisfied user of Sebastian Golze’s ADL 140 but I hadn’t explored the tracking and messaging service too much: I usually use it for radar weather, metafs and tafs when flying high in Europe.
Next to that I had bought the Garmin InReach last year for a trip in the African outback and was happy with the mapping and messaging possibilities. The InReach also served as a second PLB with an emergency SOS service.
But I also needed a SATPHONE service as a backup to VHF (while having no HF radio onboard). For this I brough a Iridium GO with a fresh simcard.

So I found myself having three Iridium devices at the same time on board. Yes I could have made a better choice, but I used the ADL for weather up till Iceland, the InReach for messaging, fetching metars and tafs outside Europe, for tracking with the homefront and as a second PLB. I did not use the Iridum GO for SATPHONE except on standby. More than these thoughts did not go into it.

If I would have to redo it, I would rethink it and save some bucks and weight.

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 17 Sep 13:24
Abeam the Flying Dream

@Dan You are right: the Fisk arrival sounds adventurous and tough but it’s nerve racking and borderline dangerous. I did not enjoy it, but at least I have a nice story to tell in the aeroclub over a beer.

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 17 Sep 14:19
Abeam the Flying Dream

Niner_Mike wrote:

at least I have a nice story to tell in the aeroclub over a beer.
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Hey All,

Here is the next episode of our trip to/from Oshkosh of last summer: our stay at Oshkosh.
Enjoy!

https://www.abeam.be/days-6-7-8-visiting-oshkosh-along-the-blue-spruce-routes-to-the-usa/

Abeam the Flying Dream
Sign in to add your message