Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Philadelphia to the Bahamas and back in a C172 - Tips & Tricks

We are European pilots planning a flight from Philadelphia to the Bahamas and back in August. Our aircraft of choice is a Cessna 172, and we are eager to explore some fantastic destinations along the way. We would greatly appreciate your recommendations for noteworthy airfields, cities, or attractions that we should consider visiting during our journey. Additionally, if you have any valuable tips or tricks to share, we would be thrilled to hear them!

I hope there are some Americans or Europeans who have experience with flying in the US who can help!

Thanks, Jens, Valerie & Joren

EBMO, EBKT

well, not really actual since it dates back to Summer of 1982… yep, that’s history as in last century.
Rented a PA32-300 Cherokee Six which, 2 male pilots, 1 sister, 1 young wife, and 1 ex girlfriend (nope, wasn’t mine), despite several tech problems, took us all the way thru the Bahamas, Haiti, to Guadeloupe, and Puerto Rico on the return.
Quite an adventure in itself, weather, tech defects, interrelations, money (who remembers Traveller’s Checks.), crooks, sickness, and other elements… sure would be enough for a… blook (just don’t feel like it).

A couple of tips which might still be actual though:

• Don’t, under any circumstances, accept any package to the next destination
  • Before departing, check all easily opened access covers on the airplane
  • If you refuel the night before, be sure to dipstick check the tanks against the displayed quantity next day, prior departure
  • There is a guide called Flying the Bahamas. Haven’t had a look myself, but these guides usually contain plenty of good up to date infos
  • Summer is not the best season for the Caribbean. Hot, sticky, and plenty of TS, the more so around Fl.
  • The East US coast should be fine though

Enjoy the beautiful beaches, warm waters, and the relaxed flying

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Don’t, under any circumstances, accept any package to the next destination
Before departing, check all easily opened access covers on the airplane
If you refuel the night before, be sure to dipstick check the tanks against the displayed quantity next day, prior departure

Maybe these come in handy?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Don’t, under any circumstances, accept any package to the next destination

Our strategy was not to tell anybody in advance where we did plan to fly next as anybody smuggling things must have a plan on how to retrieve the items at the next destination of the plane. If they do not know where it is going there is no incentive to hide anything.

Plan your accomodation in advance. The number of resorts etc. on the little islands is very limited. We did fly to Stella Maris and Cat Island and did like both. Expect higher prices than in the US.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I know nothing about the Bahamas, but I do about the US. Have you ever flown in the US ?

Basically, :

• ATC is great, just train your aviation english to be able to communicate (Youtube helps a lot)
  • small fields are friendly, have cheap fuel, usually a crew car and gives access to small town america. Beware, they can be deserted after 4-5pm. (People
  • big fields have FBOs, more expensive fuel, are open late, can arrange rental car or call a hotel for a shuttle, which gives access to the bigger cities. Uber helps too.

Advice : start your day early, you will fit the opening times of airfields/restaurants, will avoid some of the heat and TS. Take advantage of the jet lag if you can.

Stops between Philadelphia and Bahamas :

• KTGI seems an interesting stop on a tiny island
  • KFFA is a must, but little accomodation in this area
  • KHXD, KSSI are in posh coast towns, which means more charm than the usual US town
  • KSAV (Savannah) and KSGJ (St Augustine) are close to interesting cities, historically and architecturaly.
  • KDAB Daytona if you are a car fan, but air traffic there is huge because of Embry Riddle University
  • KTTS the shuttle landing facility that you can overfly but not land on
  • KFXE is a usual base before crossing because it has customs and Banyan pilot shop
  • not on your direct route : KCDK (scenic coast town), KHSP (airport on the top of a mountain), KLUA (huge caverns nearby)

I never visited any of those, just searched for trip projects.

Enjoy your trip, you will love it !
Beware : this kind of trip can leave you forever angry at how GA works in Europe

LFOU, France

We just got home after we finished the 3000+ NM trip. We had a great time.
I’ll take some time to write a short report later.

Last Edited by jvdo at 21 Aug 09:07
EBMO, EBKT

This is helpful. They have the pilot guide and some kind of airport map. You can also find a lot of useful info in the AOPA guides and some tips for the crossing here.

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message