Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone heading to Aero Expo in Sywell (8th - 10th June)?

Steve6443 wrote:

This document rule 10 clearly states that. Whether SERA replaced it is beyond my knowledge, I can’t see anything about it. As Sywell won’t be offering ATS services, then I’m pretty sure it will mean going around in the case of a dawdler…..

Yes, given the ‘most restrictive’ mentality that prevails at this sort of thing in the UK you certainly won’t be able to land on the start of the runway while someone slow is still yet to exit at the other end.

Beyond reducing to minimum safe speed on final (and thus pushing the problem further back) the solution, if you don’t need much runway to land, is to extend the flare until the guy ahead has vacated!

They really should have the area immediately to the east of the runway prepared as a grass taxiway, so that the slower aircraft (which will often be taildraggers, and those are also the ones who don’t taxi at high speed) can vacate as soon as they are able.

I’ve never been and don’t intend to go. The things to see/buy don’t really interest me and the extensive briefing document tells me enough about the way the flying will be ‘managed’ to put me off.

EGLM & EGTN

Steve6443 wrote:

the response I got is that ATC will be actively monitoring the runways and will offer the option to land after or will ask for a go around, if they believe separation on the hard runway is compromised…..

So the organisers themselves are confused whether they provide minimalist air/ground service or full fat Air Traffic Control

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Reports indicate very few exhibitors, etc

Not surprised, there is the private flyer show as well. EDNY numbers probably halved when they went from bi-annual to annual. But also covid took out many of the more experienced pilots (didn’t kill them but for many it was the last straw and they got out, with many buying boats etc). And one sees the same in other areas e.g. in electronics there used to be 1 or 2 major exhibitions (nobody reads printed media anymore so exhibitions rule the roost) and now there are about 25.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was there (briefly) today. Very thin.At least the exhibitors who were there had time to talk.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Xtophe wrote:

So the organisers themselves are confused whether they provide minimalist air/ground service or full fat Air Traffic Control

On Thursday I was turning final, following another aircraft in when a third aircraft called final and cut in front of me; the controller told the third aircraft that he was third to land, asked whether he had me in sight; he hadn’t but as I could see him, I advised that he was now number 2, I was number 3 to land. No real issue for me with a stall speed of 40 knots, I’ll just throttle back and come in slower than usual for separation.

Unfortunately the pilot touched down early and decided to dawdle along the runway; I was considering going around, back to the assembly area around the reservoir when the controller announced “landing behind, with one on the runway…..” She didn’t pronounce the “cleared to land” because that was outside her remit, but it spurred the aircraft ahead to start moving along a bit sharpish…..

I went up to the tower just before leaving yesterday to see how they were maintaining situational awareness with all the arrivals and departures – they were using a system with flight strips written up about the aircraft when they announced leaving the reservoir and then their call to final, either grass or hard, and it worked very nicely. I was impressed…..

EDL*, Germany

I have to agree that I as far as my understanding goes, there is no legal way to land on the same runway which is already occupied by another aircraft without a full ATC service being in place.

Steve6443 wrote:
when the controller announced “landing behind, with one on the runway…..” She didn’t pronounce the “cleared to land” because that was outside her remit

Even with full ATC, land after does not contain a traditional ‘cleared to land’ phrasing, it is merely ‘G-ABCD, Runway XX land after the PA28, wind calm’.

United Kingdom

And here is a video from the show

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message