Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports whose AIP and NOTAM data is bogus or tricky and additional briefing is required

Only these are exempt in UK airspace up to 28 days,

• ECAC homebuilts (ORS909)
  • PtF/ULM in France (ORS1524)
  • PtF/Micro in Ireland (ORS1530)

A German issued UL license must be good for a D-reg UL, worldwide, to every airspace where UL flight is permitted (with or without a permission, but that permission is for the aircraft, not the pilot).

I guess for 70kg SSDR not for 600kg UL, you need PPL, LAPL, NPPL

Getting authorisation for “shinny 600kg UL” (the ones that travels) in UK is tricky, they bizarrely fall outside BCAR-S and go into PtF, these are still in discussion between BMAA, LAA, CAA

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 16:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Since Brexit, the German ULM license is no longer considered valid for flying in UK airspace. This has been reported to me by a couple of ULM pilots that tried to obtain the permit.

I have heard similar rumors. You would need a PPL to fly a UL into UK. Which is rather funny, because as of today a PPL alone is not enough to fly a Norwegian UL

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ibra wrote:

Only these are exempt in UK airspace up to 28 days, ECAC homebuilts (ORS909) PtF/ULM in France (ORS1524) PtF/Micro in Ireland (ORS1530)

909 is out, a new one (ORS4N1249) is here:
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No.1249.pdf
ORS4No_1249_pdf

It does not ask explicitly for a PPL on that list in the ORS (other things are listed though).

EGTR

Yes it’s 1249 now, you don’t need to speak to CAA at all for French/Irish registered Microlights or in ECAC homebuilts, then who cares what paper you have to fly it and anyway no one check as no one cares (if you are lucky to register fighter jet as French ULM, you can do as Peter said “my UL papers are valid here”, no one will ever challenge it)

Anything else needs permission, CAA will tell you what they want as Medical or even an ATPL, especially, if what you are flying as UL is called SEP or MEP in UK…funnily, if it’s PH-reg 600kg you will need ICAO medical & licence (even EASA LAPL medical & medical is not accepted now), if it’s G-reg you can PMD+NPPL

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 16:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Anyway, I would guess that the total number of D-reg ULM that flew to the UK in 2019 was only about 20. Of which maybe 17 did so without the permit (because they didn’t they needed one or didn‘t want to know they needed one, like these guys) so maybe only 3 got the permit.

What came after 2019 was covid, and (as I often say) that has removed a vast % of “touring” pilots from circulation.

In other threads, the forum has shown several times that this is generally untrue. It might be in the particular bubble of UK you are/were surrounded with.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

ORS1249 is from 2017. It is also not consistent, referring to both homebuilt and ultralight.

Is this just a 600kg issue? There is a number of these around Europe. Which UK CAA document details that?

CAA will tell you what they want as Medical or even an ATPL, especially, if what you are flying as UL is called SEP or MEP in UK…funnily, if it’s PH-reg 600kg you will need ICAO medical & licence (even EASA LAPL medical & medical is not accepted now), if it’s G-reg you can PMD+NPPL

Can anyone decipher the above? ATPL??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

It also makes visits to the British Isles for us “continentals” more and more difficult

Bosco – I beg to differ. A pilot from Europe can fly to ANY airport, grass strip or even field in the UK, clearing customs and immigration remotely. Just file a GAR online (5 minutes) and I think an “Immigration Preclearance Form” (10 minutes).

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

The talk was about the difficulties on the side of the continent.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What has driven the price increase in second-hand planes?

I think the most likely explanation is that this is a part of the covid-driven bubble, which is now disappearing.

The talk was about the difficulties on the side of the continent.

The mystery remains, however. I would be totally amazed if the UK CAA banned foreign ULs flown on appropriate foreign UL licenses. Is there a recent (post 31/12/2020) document detailing this, specifically?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think the most likely explanation is that this is a part of the covid-driven bubble, which is now disappearing.

Some second-hand planes (club/school models like the Cessna 172) were surprisingly high valued even before Covid. I think the reason is more likely to be the very high prices of new aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message