Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Office Consultation on the UK GAR

Capitaine wrote:

Is this a post-Brexit ‘make Britain Great again’ thing by tightening borders? The sailing community has a pleasurecraft report since 2022 which is very similar to the GAR

For pleasure craft going from the Isle of Man/NI to the UK or vice versa: no report needed

For light aircraft going from the Isle of Man/NI to the UK – 12 hour notice required!

The CTA GAR requirement is absurd, especially as only GA is subjected to it. You can cross the Eire/NI border on foot in a remote location without telling anyone. Do it in a microlight and you have to inform the Police 12 hours before you do it.

Andreas IOM

Yes, but politically/emotionally you can’t make that argument…

Lots of people I bump into still can’t believe I can jump into my plane and … just fly! I say to them “you can jump into your car and … just drive, can’t you?”. They don’t get it at all.

The 2hr PN replacing the 12hr PN (except for mainland UK – N Ireland which remains at 12hrs) is a big improvement.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That seems high. Does it include speeding tickets?

Luckily it was still in my downloads:

It was actually from the Office for National Statistics; the 4 most recent reports range between 10.1% and 11.1%.

It’s very difficult to compare crime rates historically or geographically, as the definition of a crime varies, as does the procedure for recording it. It’s interesting to see the breakdown, but I don’t think there’s much meaning.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The 2hr PN replacing the 12hr PN (except for mainland UK – N Ireland which remains at 12hrs) is a big improvement.

Unfortunately they aren’t doing that, they say “The existing requirement under Paragraph 12 of Schedule 7 to the Terrorism Act 200010
provides that GA pilots must provide 12 hours’ notice in writing to a police constable of an
intention to arrive at or depart from a non-designated airfield in the UK [….] The proposed regulations will not amend this requirement” so as I read it, they are keeping the 12 hour PNR (and I suspect they forgot that the Terrorism Act 12 hour requirement also applies to the Channel Islands, Eire, and Isle of Man).

Last Edited by alioth at 26 Apr 14:54
Andreas IOM

If they made that mistake, they are truly stupid.

In that case, what actually changes?

Administrator

My reading is the same as Alioth. They specifically say that they aren’t changing the 12 hour requirement!

I think that the principal change is that previously passenger info was voluntarily given, now it will be mandatory with a big fine for failing to give it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Capitaine wrote:

10% estimate for GAR non-compliance is pretty staggering too.

If they count all the cases where the GAR was sent properly and legally (e.g. to the NCU), but the local Border Force office(r) didn’t get it, as “non-compliance” then I would have expected far more…

ELLX

This consultation closes today so get your response in quick

Since very little is changing, probably the most productive thing is to protest the 12hr PN for the CTA, for which there is no possible logical purpose.

The changes seem to be limited to obvious admin ones related to brexit e.g. the 4/24hr for EU/non-EU is now a uniform 2hr PN, with a subtle change that the PN for arriving in the UK is 2hrs before the foreign departure, so you don’t get the benefit of the flight time. But this is nothing new and the consultation isn’t about that.

Administrator

It is the Terrorism Act 2000 part for flights between NI and GB that has the greatest effect on me. I have the same thoughts as most others on here in that it is nonsense.

This is made even more so by the guidance being contradictory in various places, ie.

“The existing requirement under Paragraph 12 of Schedule 7 to the Terrorism Act 200010
provides that GA pilots must provide 12 hours’ notice in writing to a police constable of an
intention to arrive at or depart from a non-designated airfield in the UK [….] The proposed regulations will not amend this requirement”

Here it references giving notice if you intened to depart OR arrive at a non designated airfield. However when the guidance was updated (in 2022 I believe), it now says:

You must also notify the police
If the departure airport does not have a police designation you are required to notify the police at least 12 hours prior to departure:

Which says it is only the departure airfield that matters. I have been following the guidance as per this since it changed and noone has had any issue with it.

This is not even to get started on the fact that there are arguements about whether passenger details are needed or not, what tolerences there are for times (If I am running 6 hours late, I have no way to ammend my GAR and the emergency phone number is not for TA2000 purposes, so there is no way to notify).

In my response to the consultation I have suggested it is scrapped altogether, or at very worst the notice period is brought down to something like 2 hours.

United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

If I am running 6 hours late, I have no way to ammend my GAR and the emergency phone number is not for TA2000 purposes, so there is no way to notify

This is a very significant issue, as 12 hours in advance you can’t necessarily accurately predict a VFR departure time. I’m certain it’s lead to at least one fatal crash a few years ago (a Jodel from Andreas to Kilkeel in NI, IIRC, where he launched with unsuitable weather, no doubt feeling pressure to leave at the time on the GAR form).

Personally I just put my best guess and call it good so long as I depart on the same day as on the form. If I have to divert, I divert and give no regard to the GAR (a couple of years ago while going to Kilkeel, someone crashed a microlight on the runway and we didn’t know how long Kilkeel would be closed for so we diverted to Aughrim and had a cup of tea in the club house and waited for Kilkeel to reopen, we never left the airside).

I make the best effort for the CTA GAR, but they have to understand unless they reduce the notice period to something reasonable, then the form is just my best intentions and weather/operational problems might cause a last minute change.

Last Edited by alioth at 16 Jun 13:47
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message