Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A week in Marrakech and the desert

Capitaine wrote:

What language did you do your negotiating in?

Mostly French (that I am not fluent in) but also English…they’ve come a long way in Morocco!

Capitaine wrote:

Casablanca

IN my opinion is very Europeanized, but there is still a lot of authenticity elsewhere in Maroc. Don’t hesitate to start planning, even in the unlikely case you don’t end up going, at least you will have fun along the way!

I don’t know them but these guys seem to know something about that routing and perhaps flying with other aircraft adds to the fun!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

What a fantastic trip. It must have taken a lot of planning. What language did you do your negotiating in? There are some vivid colours in the souk photos, and the desert is appealing in its emptiness.

My aunt and uncle lived in Casablanca for 20+ years, but I never visited, so Morocco is a bucket list destination for me (maybe the Aéropostale route).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

Is there a document available with current requirements to fly to Morocco VFR?

See post from @Ibra above.

There is some confusion in the web as to what is and is not required, and even the Bureau de Piste at GMMX was not clear. It seems submitting FPL in advance (but no more than 24h in advance or else difficult to find in the system) is the main requirement.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Arun wrote:

you seem to use Garmin Pilot and SkyDemon

Well spotted! In this case the reason was simple: the Maroc AIP approach charts were available in SD but not GP.

In general I use GP because of cockpit integration and mainly for IFR
For VFR I find SD has some data which is not available on GP, like GAFORs, Aviportolano and other VFR guides.

So I use mainly GP but SD where GP does not provide the service I need for certain VFR flights.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Lovely trip especially so if family comes along.

I noticed that you seem to use Garmin Pilot and SkyDemon both for planning/moving map. Just curious, why and how do you use these together?

EDMB, Germany

Great trip, makes me nostalgic for my student backpacking days! For fuelling from barrels, are you expected to have a pump with you? (Especially in your high wing)

EGSG, United Kingdom

Great report! Morocco is for sure not a common GA destination, thanks for posting this!

Antonio wrote:

All international VFR flights to/from Morocco need DGAC approval, for which you need to register here then list your details and wait 5-10 days for approval.
Since when is this rule in place? I’ve heard from people flying pretty ‘spontaneously’ from Spain to Morroco VFR. As long as you keep your flights on the published ATS routes, you should be fine. ULM aircraft need for sure prior permission, but EASA planes too?! Is there a document available with current requirements to fly to Morocco VFR?
Switzerland

Re the question of whether one needs a permit to fly in Morocco (north of the W Sahara area), the Morocco “Air Traffic Rights Authorization” link given above seems to be for multiple scheduled, charter or cargo flights. There is no category offered for private tourist flights. The latest AIP MAROC part GEN 1.2-3 quoted above is dated April 2018. My most recent visit to Morocco (Fez) was in 2019, no-one mentioned that I should have got prior authorisation in addition to the flight plan. I did hear of procedure changes following the Covid restrictions, but this does not seem to be reflected in the AIP.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Antonio wrote:

Hey, good for you! I guess things have changed a bit since then. Even LEMG is now mostly off-limits to GA…

I know. I lived in Malaga at the time and was based at LEMG. If I have any pics then they’re in some archival box in storage. This was before the iPhone and at the beginning of the digital camera age. Just checked my logbook and it was in 2005. Time flies….

Cool report and a cool trip, thanks for sharing Antonio.
And impressive performance for a certified aircraft

Morroco SEP is still on my todo list (made it to Melilla via LEAM about 4 years ago), and your report is inspiring.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message