Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Iceland

I just returned from a stunning winter trip (via airline) to the alien planet on Earth called Iceland, and I can’t wait to go back in the warm season to experience the scenery without snow as well. I know many pilots have used Reykjavik as a stopover in a transatlantic journey, but looking at the charts I see small GA airports all over the island. It also seems quite achievable from EHRD without ferry tanks or anything other than survival gear. I would imagine stopping for fuel in Vagar (EKVG), which would be interesting in its own right.

Has anyone done this, and by that I mean not just stopped in Iceland but actually explored it with a small aircraft? I’m thinking also on ground transport, so possibly a folding bike or something.

Route would be something like this:

EHRD, Netherlands

@Dan might know a thing or two! :)

EGTR

This recent video is also very nice to watch.
Looking forward to the second part.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, Iceland is a fantastic place, the more so in Summer
I’ve been there as a tourist, as line pilot, and as private pilot quite a few times. On the other hand, I have not visited the many fields you are alluding to, nor any of the private ones, so cannot comment much on Iceland touring. The one thing I can comment on is, notwithstanding the awesome (or any other adjective of your choice) scenery, is the weather. Though one can get lucky, the major problem of Iceland is wind. It is basically always windy, sometimes more, and sometimes much more. Weather patterns are not always predictable. Good luck around the Ring Road on your folding bicycle

quite achievable from EHRD without ferry tanks or anything other than survival gear. I would imagine stopping for fuel in Vagar (EKVG), which would be interesting in its own right

Not sure what aircraft you would be flying, but range would be beneficial to reach Iceland or the Faroes… talking about Vagar, I suggest looking at their weather history. Assuming you plan Vagar, what would be your alternate (or would you go without one?). Vagar can not only be treacherous for low clouds and reduced vis, but for its windshears. Maybe others who have been there will chime in.

Regarding your planned leg Vagar – Iceland, you’ll need a port of entry for customs. Egilsstaðir is the only one on the East, not sure you’d get permission for Hofn Hornafjordur like you seem to have planned…

A VFR guide for Iceland + plenty of infos can be found here "Icelandic Xport Authority ":https://www.icetra.is/aviation/operation/general-aviation/

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

This guy went for trip there, altough with twin: good over water not good over gravel

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/10719-iceland-trip-from-the-uk-with-some-local-flying-in-iceland#post_212122

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jan 18:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The pilot Nigel Webb did a great webinar on his trip from the UK to Iceland via Faroe Islands.

Here’s the full webinar. Highly recommended.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

Weather patterns are not always predictable.

Yes this I did know, and saw for myself even last week. I figure some flexibility is required, though I am IFR current and proficient and you’re never very far from a field with IAPs.

Good luck around the Ring Road on your folding bicycle

I was thinking more the local roads around airfields just to see the scenery in those areas. I would probably rent a car from the major fields to do other touring.

Not sure what aircraft you would be flying, but range would be beneficial to reach Iceland or the Faroes

It’s a TB10, which has a comfortable 600nm no-wind range with reserves. I generally fly 3-4 hour legs at most, and I expect to fuel in Scotland somewhere rather than direct from EHRD. This would give me enough range to return to Scotland if needed, and the route to Egilsstadir also allows for a full return trip in the worst case.

Fernando wrote:

The pilot Nigel Webb did a great webinar on his trip from the UK to Iceland via Faroe Islands.

Thanks for sharing!

EHRD, Netherlands

The video makes me even more interested in visiting the Faroes and not just stopping over!

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

interested in visiting the Faroes

me too, not due to the vid which I have yet to see, but because it was on my POI list and bypassed due to good weather patterns on the westbound crossing, and bad weather on the return.
From my humble observations of the weather there, no need for IFR. When it is bad, nobody flies there

By the way, that could be a nice location for our next fly-in…

Last Edited by Dan at 13 Jan 16:44
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

When it is bad, nobody flies there

Four of the days we were there were severe clear with no wind and yet I saw not a single GA airplane in the sky. I was surprised to say the least!

EHRD, Netherlands
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message