Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European version of 48 (49) States

Quite a few US pilots try and land in all 48 mainland states – or 49 including Alaska.

Has anyone flown in the European 53 states (this is geographical Europe, not EU) – some may be a bit tricky, eg The Vatican or Monaco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_population

My list of European states which I have flown into is relatively short: Ireland, UK, Jersey, Isle of Man, Guernsey, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Romania – so only 38 to go.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

…some may be a bit tricky, eg The Vatican or Monaco.

and Andorra, Liechtenstein, … you need a helicopter to go there. And since I don’t fly helicopters (and probably never will unless I win the lottery) and therefore won’t be able to complete the list, I don’t even bother to start the task. And then, there are a few countries where I don’t want to go. At least not unless they pay me well to go there.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Anybody done Albania?

Only one official airport, plus a few which are on the old US military charts

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Apr 19:08
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no universal geographical definition of Europe. However, under the most common definition and disregarding the micro-countries, I can say that I have only these four remaining with my GA flying as PIC so far:

Iceland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Belarus.

I can’t see going to any of these real soon (maybe a short visit to Macedonia on my next flight to Greece…)

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Iceland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Belarus.

On that list, I have ticked Iceland. Belarus is one of the countries where I won’t go. They shot down a hot air balloon a few years ago that took part in the Gordon-Bennett race and drifted across their border. I don’t go to places where they kill innocent people on board a hot air balloon. What, if my transponder or radio fails? No way am I flying there.

EDDS - Stuttgart

don’t mention that you come from Macedonia when you land in Greece – they want to hear that you come from F.Y.R.O.M., a “Republic” in former Yugoslavia.
Never say that Skopje is located in Macedonia otherwise you may find yourself in trouble … being interviewed in a police station and taught lessons in Greek History for some hours by some local politicians.

Last Edited by nobbi at 27 Apr 20:16
EDxx, Germany

Of course, I know that. But it doesn’t stop me (among us) from calling it Macedonia. Also sounds much nicer. By the way, in Italian, “Macedonia” is the word for “fruit salad”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Apr 20:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Macedonia naming dispute

You can fly between FYROM and Greece, but they normally want extra Customs PPR/PNR/whatever as appropriate to a flight to/from non-EU.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ Boscomantico … but always with a shot (twist) of Maraschino liqueur !

British warships were sent from bases in Corfu and Malta to pick up shipments of maraschino for British royalty. In fact in 1877 the Duke of York (the future George V) and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the factory and accepted "with great pleasure a choice buffet "in the Salghetti-Drioli family home and purchased "more cases of rosolio and several jars of maraschino cherries "(Il Dalmata, a. XXII, no.77, 28 September 1877)
Link

EDxx, Germany

Anybody done Albania?

A friend of mine regularly flies to Tirana with his Bonanza.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message