Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who knows EuroGA.org ?

I have distributed Peters leaflets for promotional purposes within the last weeks at six airfields, three in my homeland Germany, one in Denmark and two in France.
A total of seven german pilots I could speak personally, two of them even have an own airplane. Nobody knew euroGA.org. I could hardly believe it. Even the famous autorouter was completely unknown. The brief presentation of the website with their almost daily new threads and brilliant trip reports generatetd considerable interest.
I want to encourage others to expand the outside the UK apperently small circle through personal contact. We can all benefit from it.

Berlin, Germany

Sometimes there is just the language barrier.

United Kingdom

We need to do more promotion of EuroGA.

I have been leaving behind the leaflets whenever it seems possible, and welcome anybody who wants to do the same (I will send out a wad of them free by airmail to anybody who can leave them somewhere useful). And the leaflets do work. I see a bunch of new signups every time a pile of the leaflets gets left at some aeroclub or some such.

Yes there is the language barrier but all pilots who actually go somewhere for real do need to speak some English, so we should attract those without the language being a problem. Sure we will never pick up those who only ever fly locally and in countries where English is not normally spoken.

But it is surprising how many pilots don’t know about “modern” stuff. I met an SR22 pilot today (won’t say from which country since it’s a small world) and he was filing handwritten flight plans; handing them at the tower. And when, at the CAA office at LGKR, I showed them how I can not only file a flight plan electronically from my phone but also move a flight plan from 1300 to 1210, they were totally amazed. They still have pilots going up to the top of the ATC tower with handwritten flight plans. But then schools, and perhaps to a slightly lesser extent aeroclubs, tend to discourage experienced owner/pilots hanging out there, because they are seen as either undermining the school’s instructors, or being rich posers. So these little communities can just carry on as they have been for years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ Peter:
-The avgas truck that refueled you at Kerkyra,was here before and the company decided to move it since we did our most to expel GA !
-After decades of motorcycling and aviating I have the feeling that strong ex-imperial nations do not speak foreign languages in general.(Holland+Portugal excluded).
-HCAA has allergy with “modern” technology.For example,most will only reply to you via Fax or Telex even that they have AIP published Emails.Or,what about the Dot Mattrix bill printers that chew papers.A guy here couldnt even do that. You leave the money and the job is proccessed by the guy of the next shift !
-Greek presence at EuroGA counts 3 while there are another 100 active ones out there.

LGGG

I left EuroGA leaflets at every airport on my last trip (Slovenia – Croatia – Greece – Corsica) when it looked like they have somewhere to leave them.

But really we need more of you to do this, at your hangars / aeroclubs / airfields. Just email me the addresses and I will send you some

The avgas truck that refueled you at Kerkyra,was here before and the company decided to move it since we did our most to expel GA

That’s sad… why did they not want GA? Greece has the best economic case for GA transport of all Europe!

strong ex-imperial nations do not speak foreign languages in general.

True, yes, but you can’t get too far in flying to places unless you speak English. In most cases you can’t leave your own country. OK… yes, we know some 90%+ of pilots really never do leave their own country, but only some of them will be held back by the language issue. Many are held back by now knowing how to. It’s not taught in the PPL. So they should visit EuroGA

For example,most will only reply to you via Fax or Telex even that they have AIP published

I think it may be changing. I do have a fax number (fax to PDF to email) and usually give it to airports when asking questions, but in 2014/15 I have not had any replies to it. When they do reply (not often) they use email. Telex should be totally dead now… does it really still exist? I know it did a few years ago, in some places in Africa.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

OK… yes, we know some 90%+ of pilots really never do leave their own country

I don’t know where you have this “information” from. I hardly know a PPL pilot who hasn’t crossed the boarder, it’s hard to find a microlight pilot that hasn’t. OK, crossing between Norway/Sweden/Denmark isn’t a big thing in any way. There is no cultural or language barrier to speak of (except when going to Skåne ), the same EASA regulations. But you do enter/leave the European Union We even have an airport here that is right on the border (physically in Sweden actually, but run by Swedes and Norwegians. Try doing a circuit to the south without doing some border crossing). I think most people have a very different (and utterly relaxed) concept of country borders within Europe than what this site makes it to be, and the younger generation much more so than the older.

I would think similar situations exists many places. Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Netherlands/Italy(northern parts), Belgium/Netherlands, France/Belgium/Switzerland and so on.

To the topic. What other forums are there? It looks to me that only 0.001% or something of PPL pilots visit forums. Seriously, I don’t know any other forum in Europe. I know some local Facebook groups, but they are useless for any discussions.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

e even have an airport here that is right on the border (physically in Sweden actually, but run by Swedes and Norwegians. Try doing a circuit to the south without doing some border crossing).

Gäddede?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Left a handful at EBAM this Sunday last.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thank you

If anyone feels like doing a new design then feel free…

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Gäddede?

Yes

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
97 Posts
Sign in to add your message