Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reutte-Höfen (LOIR) in Austria - recommendation!

I wanted to write up this flight properly, as the destination really merits more visitors. Talk is about Reutte-Höfen airfield (LOIR) and its surroundings in Tyrol.

For anyone coming from the more western parts of Germany, or BeNeLux, it’s the closest possible spot to spend a day “in the Alps”. It’s just beyond the German-Austrian border, so there is not so much flying in the Alps involved, also making things easier also on the weather side. The approach is still mildly challenging so as to make it fun and rewarding.

One reason (other than the relatively short runway and the slightly challenging approach) why this airfield doesn’t get much traffic is that it is PPR. Most German pilots dislike PPR, a consequence of most airfields and airports NOT requiring any PPR in Germany. Reutte has a limitation on the number of visiting aircraft per day, but this limit is hardly ever reached. It’s a short mail to the airfield staff. In my case, I sent it the day before at 17:00h, and got the OK at 19:00h. The airfield is also regularly available only on weekends, but weekday arrivals or departures can be arranged as well. There is lots of accomodation and general touristic infrastructure in the area.

The airfield website with all the infos is here. They say there are working on an English website. In the meantime, you have to browser-translate it.

Here is the location as well as the route from Mainz, on this flight undertaken this past July.

The Jepp VAC.

Sat view of the circuit. You can see that the downwind leg is beyond a ridge.

The runway (which used to be grass, but has been tarmac’ed seven years ago) is right next to the river Lech and is otherwise pretty well surrounded by buildings.

I took the trusty Cherokee 180 – no better plane for such trips.

After takeoff from Mainz, the usual (pretty) views of Rheinhessen. What was striking this year was how early the colours turned brown in Germany. This was on the 2nd of July…

I got a flat out refusal for a transit of the Stuttgart TMA at FL70 or thereabouts that day, so had to make my way down below and to the east of Stuttgart, dodging dozens of glider airfields. No time for photos, so the next one was of Memmingen (EDJA) which always marks the northerly starting point of the interesting scenery to come.

The ever so green Allgäu, with the Alps appearing.

The Forgensee, near Füssen, which is on the border to Austria.

The Tyrolean mountains, as I approach the reporting point November 1 for Reutte.

Here, you can see the town of Reutte, and slightly further back and to the right, the airfield. Normally, in the mornings, winds are rather calm and they like to use runway 04 for landings (more on that towards the end).

This is the ridge I was referring to.

Turning final for 04, over the river Lech. The threshold is just coming into view.

Short final.

Picturesque, I would say.

The landing fee for four-seaters is 25 Euros, and for two-seaters is 20 Euros. Both Mogas and 100LL are available.

Only about a good 10 minutes walk from the airfield, there is a gondola cable car departing for the Hahnenkamm Höfen, not to be confused with the much more famous Hahnenkamm in Kitzbühel. The top of the gondola is at 1700 meters above sea level, the peak of the Hahnenkamm itself is at almost 2000 meters.

The place is good for a little walkabout in the mountains or even a serious hike.

I enjoyed a Schnitzel at the mountain-top restaurant pictured above. By the way, next to the airfield, by the road, there is another restaurant which offers all the usual Tyrolean good stuff („Sennerland“).

I then returned back down and picked up my folding bike from the aircraft (the airfield also has bikes for rent, by the way). Nothing better than cycling alongside the river Lech, which is often referred to as the last remaining Wildfluss (“wild river”) of Europe.

At was quite hot by that time, and I even had a sort of a “swim” in the 15 degrees cold water. Not for the faint-hearted, also because of the currents.

The town of Reutte is also easily reached by bike.

Another highlight of the immediate area is highline179, a pedestrian suspension bridge across a valley. Website here

Back at the airfield, the usual slight northerly afternoon wind had set in, so even though it wasn’t strong, I chose runway 04 for takeoff. This is not the preferred runway for takeoff, mainly due to noise concerns and obstacles. I haven’t taken a photo this time, but to give you an idea, here is one I have taken in 2014, back when the runway was still grass…

My takeoff went absolutely fine. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks after my flight, a Cessna Cardinal 177B crashed into one of these houses on departure from runway 04. See here

Likely some sort of engine trouble. Nobody knows why he had to crash into the house instead of putting it down in the river bed, which is just next to it.

Anyway, after this, the airfield was closed for a few days. But it reopened shortly after. For now, they have introduced a restriction that takeoffs are allowed only on runway 22, and landings are allowed only on runway 04. Don’t let this deter you. One should pick a relatively calm wind day for the mountains anyway. Maybe next year, the restriction will be gone anyway.

Here are a few more nice photos taken on the return trip. First of all, just about ten minutes after leaving Reutte, I decided to make a short stop at Kempten airfield (EDMK), for no particular reason other than it being a beautiful airfield, so when I am down in that area, I usually make a stop here.

After this, I headed for Mainz again, and this time I decided to cross the CTR (instead of the TMA) of Stuttgart. The former is ALWAYS possible. Just south of Stuttgart, the sharp dropoff from the Swabian Jura.

Midfield-crossing EDDS.

Downtown Stuttgart.

This is the old and (and long-time closed) Heidelberg airfield.

Bridges of Heidelberg across the river Neckar.

Crossing the river Rhein.

Almost back home: vineyards of Rheinhessen, the Frankfurt skyline and the Taunus in the background.

Final 07 at EDFZ:

To summarize: personally, I really like a day out in Reutte. From Frankfurt or Mainz, it’s about the same distance there as it is to the islands in the north sea. All in all, going to Reutte is just more rewarding and special than going to the crowded seaside in summer.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Oct 10:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Awesome trip report, thanks.
Reutte has been on my list for a long time.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks a lot @boscomantico, it is indeed a place to add to my list.
I did fly over it last July, on my way to Italy and back through the Brenner pass and can confirm, that getting to it from the North is quite easy, not much mountain flying involved.

EHLE, Netherlands

I second this, Reutte has been on my list during PPL training. Pretty short and an approach with some trees and houses shortly before the threshold :)

If there is nobody at the fiels just leave the landing fees in the post box at the tower door.

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Hey, not a bad way to get to Lech for skiing! Thanks for sharing this.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Nice report. Just be aware that there can be a lot (!) of glider activity in the vicinity.

Germany

Great pics !
Funny how the fields suddenly get much greener south of Memmingen.

I guess it is no coincidence this Cherokee 180 is N5554D and the Cherokee 140 was N5554E

LFOU, France

Looks lovely and beautiful weather for it!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thanks for this report, Reutte is indeed very nice!

Unfortunately, according to the current information on their website, the airfield is available only on weekends and only for pilots who have already visited the place. I guess, this restriction is also a result of the mentioned accident. This makes the airfield quite unusable again, after being unavailable in 2021 for non-home-based pilots (due to a crane in the vicinity). Furthermore, Reutte has also further limitations during the winter months.

Last Edited by Frans at 10 Oct 12:52
Switzerland

Thanks for the nice report. Looking at the pictures I think it is even more interesting as a destination for a day trip than I had thought. I planned on visiting Reutte in July or August but somehow that never happened.

boscomantico wrote:

Most German pilots dislike PPR, a consequence of most airfields and airports NOT requiring any PPR in Germany

I can’t say that PPR is not a hassle in Germany. The majority of airfields classified as Verkehrslandeplatz does not require PPR. But the majority of airfields are Sonderlandeplätze, more than double the amount of Verkehrslandeplätze. Usually they are owned and/or operated by the local gliding club and open on weekends when the weather is nice and on top of that they are PPR. You can’t email them in advance to obtain permission because either they won’t respond in time or their answer will be don’t know yet, let’s see what the weather will be like and call us next Saturday. In cases where I could reach someone by telephone (unlikely) I mostly got the same answer sometimes they tell me to just land and look if they are there when I’m on the ground. For that I’m clearly not bold enough. As a consequence planned trips usually need to go to a Verkehrslandeplatz or airport.

Frans wrote:

Unfortunately, according to the current information on their website, the airfield is available only on weekends and only for pilots who have already visited the place.

Hadn’t noticed that. How sad. It really puts the field in line with Wasserkuppe and Samedan. Hope it will be changed back to just PPR.

EDQH, Germany
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message