Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptable VFR Routing from EDMA to Northern Italy, LIKO area specifically

I wanted to fly from EDMA to LIKO in northern Italy. At first I entertained the thought of an IFR flight plan but getting a routing 40% longer than a direct routing and at a minimum 15,000’ level I decided to try and do it VFR. Looking at the chart there appears to be a possible route via LOWI, LIPB, LIDT, LIPX then onto LIKO.

Is that a good routing VFR following the various roads (A22) going from one of these airports to another?

Has anyone done this before?

I originally wanted to fly into either LIPR or LIPK unfortunately neither one has 100LL for sale.

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Looking at the chart there appears to be a possible route via LOWI, LIPB, LIDT, LIPX then onto LIKO.

Is that a good routing VFR following the various roads (A22) going from one of these airports to another?

LOWI-LIPB-LIDT via the Brenner pass (4500’) is a standard VFR route through the Alps. I’ve done it and it’s not difficult.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for the quick reply.
At Vipiteno Sterzing as Im heading south towards LIPB there is a fork the western part has route SS44 and the eastern part (SS12) A22 highway. Which is still part of the Brenner Pass corridor? Which would be the better route to take?

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

At Vipiteno Sterzing as Im heading south towards LIPB there is a fork the western part has route SS44 and the eastern part (SS12) A22 highway. Which is still part of the Brenner Pass corridor? Which would be the better route to take?

Use the eastern part. SS44 takes you over a ridge at about 7000’. You should follow GAFOR route LO50. I strongly suggest you use an aeronautical chart with good topographic information or a tool such as SkyDemon. If you do, it is more or less obvious what route to take.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ok Thanks very much.

KHTO, LHTL
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message