Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Northern Brittany rental cars / getaround and Ouicar

In the beginning of August, I might be headed to northern Brittany (either Dinard, St. Brieuc, Lannion or Morlaix) despite that being full holiday season in France, and thus accomodation being a possible problem.

Another problem is definitely that none of these airports has „resident“ rental cars anymore.

Did anyone mange to get a car supplied at the airport by one of the usual car hire companies at one of these airports this year?

Actually, due to the insane prices charged by the usual car hire companies these days, I would prefer getting a car via either getaround or ouicar. Does anyone have any recent experiences with these two? What is the acceptance rate of the renter/driver is foreign? Are people willing to bring the car to the airport (against additional fee)?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Ada should be able to get you car to StBrieuc airport (LFRT) and you can leave it at airport, they charged 300€ 3 full days for Peugeot 308 in peak July season

If you can’t book on their website due to availability, give them a call and let them know by phone it’s not a commercial flight (they refund 100% if you cancel flight due to weather)

I have not tried OuiCar and GetAround, these are not that reliable when you go away from Paris…

No idea about the other airports?

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 19:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Actually, due to the insane prices charged by the usual car hire companies these days, I would prefer getting a car via either getaround or ouicar. Does anyone have any recent experiences with these two? What is the acceptance rate of the renter/driver is foreign? Are people willing to bring the car to the airport (against additional fee)?

I used getaround (when it was still drivy, so some time ago) in Montpellier and had a good experience with that. I took the bus from the airfield and then picked up the car near the hotel. This worked well in that case. I suppose generally if the driver has an active profile, good response rate, and good ratings, this is what you’ll get. Really makes sense with the rental car prices at the moment. In fact I didn’t even think of this on our recent trip now and paid an overpriced Sixt rental at Ajaccio/Corsica.

I used to btw let people have my car via Drivy when I still lived in Düsseldorf. It was 80% foreigners and I did the airport delivery when I had time or some business near the airport anyway. Met some nice folks this way.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I used to use Drivy quite a lot and didn’t have any problems. A Brit friend also used to fly into La Rochelle from UK where he met with the owner of the Drivy vehicle he hired, took the guy back to his home and then did the same in reverse when he went home. He was very happy with the service and saved quite a lot against using the normal hire firms at LFBH.
I have no recent experience since the name change.

France

Had good experiences with Getaround, in Bordeaux specifically. Simple and cheap. Not a new car, but couldn’t care less – just needed transport.

Thanks. Myself I have also used Drivvy a couple of times in the past and it was great, but indeed 3-4 years ago. I will likely give Getaround a try this time. For some reason, I am having some trouble with the ouicar app (crashes when I want to upload my documents…).

Thanks Ibra for the tip for St. Brieuc, but If at all possible, I want to avoid paying 100€ per day for a small car. It‘s just too much. Don‘t know what you mean by „not reliable if you go away from Paris“, particularly if you haven‘t tried them.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jul 18:32

Note that most suburban supermarkets (Super U, Leclerc etc…) offer some car rental. They are cheap(er) compared to the car rental companies but will definitely not deliver a car anywhere (on site only). Some airports have a supermarket nearby so check out.
They often have a few cars and vans so they are pretty booked during the summer season.

Interested if you find something around Morlaix.

LFOU, France

I guess you saw the car rental webpage on Lannion airport website.
I can call one or two airports from your list next week if it could help you.

LFOU, France

Thanks for the offer. Still a bit early and plans are still vague. Will let you know if I need help.

Things are shaping up. My trip will be Aug 7-9, and we will use St. Brieuc Armor Airport.

I managed to secure a car from a friendly guy via ouicar. He will come to the airport for us.

Now, hotels are indeed very difficult this time of year and there is almost nothing available along the coast ( or they are not available on the usual booking plattforms). I have booked the Ibis in St. Brieuc as a backup, and I can cancel it until 1700 of the same day, but I will be continuing to look for better options.

Anyone have any insight as to the nicest bays, beaches, towns and restaurants along the coast, up to 60km west and east of St. Brieuc?

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message