Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFMN Nice Cote d'Azur

I can only second what’s been told here. Avoid Nice that is too expensive, Cannes is just made for that.
Nice is commercial and VIP, all GA and small planes goes to Cannes. Local pilots are pleased to have such air port as close alternate, but in case we land here, it’s a 300+€ ticket.
Anyway Monaco is 40 minutes far by taxi or Uber, many does it because many Monaco rich résidents are not rich enough to have their plane based in Nice. We probably have a tens of 3A-xxx planes in Cannes.
Issue comes when bad weather, but it is not that often. 2 weeks ago we had a sea mist session, even Nice has to close for some hours… ILS is cat 1 only

LFMD, France

all very valid points, I will report back how things went. I guess I’m committed now…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

One other negative for LFMN, which I just found it, is that a GENDEC is needed for flights within Schengen and within France… Why? who knows…

The additional time associated with using Nice far outweighs the additional travel time from Cannes. We operate PC12’s from Cannes and only ever use Nice if Cannes is closed.

GenDecs are required only to get through security.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

Interesting. So you mean that despite using the dedicated GA facilities at Nice, one loses a lot of time? That would indeed make it unattractive. I wonder where all that time is being lost though. Or does one always need to go through the main terminal? (GA parking and main terminal, as well as rental cars, are indeed at the very opposing ends of the airport).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Jan 12:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nice makes its own rules. Many years ago I had a tiny pocket knife confiscated there. When I pointed out it was smaller than 3cm and therefore exempt they laughed and said “not here at Nice, we make our own rules” – honest. (I did get it back with some subterfuge but that’s another story).

I live a few minutes from LFMN and go frequently to LFMD. You would have to be VERY unlucky for it to add more than 30 minutes to the journey time. I normally do it in 35 minutes and that includes 10+ minutes to get down the hill to the autoroute.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

I live a few minutes from LFMN and go frequently to LFMD. You would have to be VERY unlucky for it to add more than 30 minutes to the journey time. I normally do it in 35 minutes and that includes 10+ minutes to get down the hill to the autoroute.

I’m going to try Nice once, mainly to have it in my logbook, but given how easy Cannes is, I guess it is going to be the last time.

Overall a very warm welcome in Nice, but it will definitely be a one off. Will updated the database next but the costs for Nice end up at :

Ground handling 360 for that you get a ride in a nice van to the terminal and access to their lounge ;-), you also get a nice ride in the same van back to the plane. they put chocks under every wheel as well ;-)
Slot booking fee (you cannot do this yourself, I wasn’t just being a posh twat) 70 euros
and landing and parking fee for 2 nights 278,59

add 20 percent VAT to that and you get to a round 850 euros. Oh, the taxi to Monaco wasn’t any cheaper either 200 euros VAT inclusive…

Thanks for the feedback.

Having been in LFMN a few times myself (just checked my logbook, 119 times), good thing I was paid to do it
Never saw a prop driven craft during those years, now I know why…

I hope you recouped these annoying expenses in the first 20 seconds of your meeting

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

add 20 percent VAT to that and you get to a round 850 euros. Oh, the taxi to Monaco wasn’t any cheaper either 200 euros VAT inclusive

For that kind of money you can probably really consider a helicopter transfer from Cannes ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message