Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Amazing Norway and Sweden, July 2021

@airways
@terbang
@oranybodyelse :)
If you need 100LL in the north, send me a message and I can help you with local contacts.

ESSZ, Sweden

@Fly310 much appreciated !

EBST, Belgium

Hmm, In my head only Finland has Lappland (or Lappi in Finish, Sapmi in Sami). Where does Norrbotten enter the picture? Where exactly is Lappland in Sweden?

From ancient times the whole region (including Norway and Russia) was often called Lappland. The northernmost Norwegian area is called Finnmark, meaning essentially Finland Today the Sami people call the whole greater area Sapmi, meaning the land of the Sami people. They don’t really recognize anything but Sapmi up there.

Geography and names are confusing subjects

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

You mean northern Finland?

Ha, yes we have the same problem. Somewhere Caledonia became the United Kingdom…

Caledonia was the Latin name used by the Roman Empire to refer to the part of Great Britain (Latin: Britannia) that lies north of the River Forth, …

LeSving wrote:

Geography and names are confusing subjects

As is history re writing..I always did associate Lappland as being in Finland..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

LeSving wrote:

Hmm, In my head only Finland has Lappland (or Lappi in Finish, Sapmi in Sami). Where does Norrbotten enter the picture? Where exactly is Lappland in Sweden?

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lappland_

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Stranger indeed. Then what is this all about?

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrbottens_l%C3%A4n

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Stranger indeed. Then what is this all about?

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrbottens_l%C3%A4n

Follow the link to “landskap” in the very beginning of the Wikipedia article and you’ll see…

As I said, geography and names are confusing. With Sweden I have never ever thought about geographical positions in terms of names of landscapes. Well, with one exception : Skåne (which is the landscape starting a bit south of Stockholm, don’t know exactly where). In addition there are the larger islands, but islands are different in this respect. Other than that we use N, S etc and names of actual regions and cities. I have no idea why that is so, but we have Sweden, and we have Skåne.

With Finland it’s the same, only there we have Finland and Lappland. Across the boarder from me is Jämtland. My grandparents always talked about this region as Jämtland, never Sweden. Today I think my kids have little clue where/what Jämtland is. In everyday talk it’s simply Sweden, or mostly (like 99%) only the name of the actual place you are going, typically Åre, Storlien or Østersund.

This is the first time I have ever heard about Lappland being in Sweden (so much for my geography knowledge). However, Lappland (as of today) is either the northern part of Finland, or it is a bit derogative and ignorant term for Sapmi (the entire northern region of the Sami people: Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia). In everyday talk it’s only used for the northern region of Finland.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

In everyday talk it’s only used for the northern region of Finland.

Maybe in Norway, but definitely not in Sweden. As the Wikipedia article said, landscape names are very important culturally in Sweden even if they have lost their administrative significance. Also consider this.

As already said in real life, a very nice write-up of our trip @boscomantico ! Pictures are nicely choosen too! The highlight was not just the cool flying and sightseeing together, but also learn and experience the benefits of IFR flying. It was also the first time for me flying in a Cirrus and the first time visiting Sweden, even though I’ve been in all other Scandinavian countries. Overall, all visited places were entirely new for me.

Thinking of the entire trip again, I guess that leg from Ålesund, via Åndalsnes to Bjorli was my overall favorite. That was both flying wise and scenery wise the most special flight. Also Siljansnäs was a Swedish village like in many picture books, even though it didn’t had further restaurants. I couldn’t have had a better introduction into Sweden.

Last Edited by Frans at 01 Feb 15:25
Switzerland
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message