Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADF and European navigation (merged)

Thank you, Dave. It’s good to know that it’s a known problem. He was using the magenta diamond, but that only really helps once you are established on the desired track, not much help getting established (unless you know something I don’t).

I must say that the number of button presses and potential errors standing in the way of getting the ADF to feed a pointer with the correct signal is so great as to be rather an advertisment for steam!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy,

I must say that the number of button presses and potential errors standing in the way of getting the ADF to feed a pointer with the correct signal is so great as to be rather an advertisment for steam!

Why is this?

Mine has a needle permanently visible in the HSI unless I deselect it I leave the GPS or VOR as needle 1 and the ADF as 2. Is the implementation there different?

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Nov 09:29
EGTK Oxford

No, it is just that some people chose to play around such that VOR 1 & 2 are on single needle and the GPS is left on the HSI. Consequently, on the rare occasion that you actually want the ADF, you need to change your settings. Personally I do as you – leaving the ADF on the second (two line) single needle pointer.

Timothy, assuming you’ve flown a hold or two, he should be able to accurately calculate the WCA for the outbound leg (well, as good as). Consequently, when beacon outbound he can just select the wind corrected heading immediately which will be far more accurate that the guesstimate done some 2 hours previously having looked at a 215.

Honestly, declare the instrument inop and let the guy do his test without ADF. :)

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 06 Nov 10:06
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I would think that such an amount of roll-induced dip would be an airframe dependent feature.

An ADF is not normally that bad.

I don’t know what ADF is used with a G1000 but it might be some remote mounted version of a KR87. The KR87 is probably the only “GA” ADF which ever worked properly after more than 5 minutes of flying in rain; the antenna assembly is potted in epoxy so water can’t get in. Mine displays on the Sandel SN3500 but I almost never configure it to display because it clutters it too much. I might have it showing on the #2 EHSI.

One can expect a 20-30 degree error with any coastal NDB, at a particular distance range, say 2D-5D, if the coast is not being crossed at right angle. But this issue is different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know what ADF is used with a G1000

You can use any ADF with a G1000. The G1000 does not do any tuning – it only serves as a RMI.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So a G1000 aircraft has a KR87 (or similar) sticking out somewhere?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most Diamond aircraft that have an ADF use a Becker 3500 remote ADF. It is both tuned and displayed via the G1000. They also tend to have a KN63 remote DME operated in the same way. There is nothing visible in the panel for either. Other types may be different.

Last Edited by Neil at 06 Nov 11:12
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

So a G1000 aircraft has a KR87 (or similar) sticking out somewhere?

I had that in the C172SP I used to rent a few years ago.

The DA40 and DA42 I know have the integrated (Becker?) systems.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Most Diamond aircraft that have an ADF use a Becker 3500 remote ADF. It is both tuned and displayed via the G1000. They also tend to have a KN63 remote DME operated in the same way. There is nothing visible in the panel for either. Other types may be different.

Interesting. My G1000 manual makes no mention of tuning the ADF from the G1000 (and indeed it says that the ADF option is a KR87 just like Peter suggested). It does mention remote tuning a KN63 DME.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Nov 11:57
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The G1000 manual is airframe specific. Diamond’s G1000 manual does indeed contain sections on the ADF & DME. (it’s the “ADF/DME” softkey on the PFD) And yes, tuning one is indeed a bit quirky on the G1000.

2014 A.D & we’re discussing ADF needle dips.

Sign in to add your message