Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little trip Shoreham EGKA to Newquay EGHQ Nov 2021

…plus it looks cool!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I notice two different display technologies amongst the five King GD displays in your avionics: the upper NAVCOM and autopilot seem to sequence segments in a way your camera shows them as partial. Not so the other three…

That’s quite funny… must be the multiplex sequence and speed. All these segmented displays are multiplexed because it much reduces the number of connections to the display. Also, pulse width modulation enables easy brightness control.

It is 0.8 kg/l, that is about 6.67 lb/usgallon, so I carry about 980 lb of fuel. Depending on temperature difference to ISA, I can fly (“to zero range”, having removed about 10 usg for the climb) about 6.5 hours to 7 hours at 200 knots to 195 knots, that is about 1300 nm. Realistically, my record is ELLX to LBSF (825 nmi great circle; 910 nmi planned route), with reserves and alternate.

That’s very good, and quite unusual for a turboprop conversion, most of which reduce the range compared to the original piston version. Watching the plane on FR24 yesterday was just amazing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s very good, and quite unusual for a turboprop conversion, most of which reduce the range compared to the original piston version.

Well, if you compare with same payload (let’s say 3 adults on board?), the Silver Eagle would probably have lower range. I achieve those things by flying alone and, crucially, largely exceeding the altitude where the pressurisation gives a “no oxygen needed” cabin, and using oxygen as a complement (but not a mask like I would need completely unpressurised at FL240…). It does burn more when lower…

ELLX
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message