Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kamchatka

9 Posts

An astounding trip being planned here for summer 2022, by initiative of one single member of a small Italian aeroclub.

This short video is only in Italian, but you can see the registered aircraft types (all very basic VFR SEPs/ultralights) at 1:35 and the planned route at 1:38.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Totally incredible !
Seems a big group of people having the time, money and courage for such a trip.

I hope they will capture the most of their trip, I will certainly watch it

It will be a huge $$$-hole just for avgas, not mentioning the airport and other fees

LFOU, France

Long history of Italy-Russia technology/cultural exchanges (see LADA) I expect they will be well received by local GA, ‘bottle to throttle’ rules may need observing :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

all very basic VFR SEPs/ultralights

Well, everything is relative, as always, and such the very definition of basic. The aircraft list: C-172RG, C-182, Siai 205, Eurofox 2K, CTLS 2020, DynAero MCR4S, Vans RV-10, Risen 915is, C-172M, and a P68.
Most of those are capable aircraft. Some of the types have already been used a few times by Earthrounders, strictly flying VFR. And I bet that almost all of them are IMC capable.
An exiting trip I would have loved to join, the best of luck to them

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Plus, there will be a great deal of logistics support done by somebody. This trip won’t be cheap. The well-known guy doing African “safaris” (not Aeroplus) were charging 10k-20k for logistics, plus all actual costs like fuel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Total cost is extimated in about 20000€ for fuel, insurance, hotel, logistic, handling… plus your aircraft dry price.
Part of it is supposed to be covered by some sponsorship.
If you like to partecipate get in contact with Lugo aeroclub. They will put you on standby.
Ciao

LILE, Italy

Total cost is extimated in about 20000€ for fuel

Fuel will be perhaps 10-20% of that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My late flying partner, Garage owner Trevor Shaw, drove the Peking to Paris as a mechanic in a heavily equipped Land Cruiser. This was in the first dawn of handheld GPS with no mapping and they soon found, driving ahead to stake out the course, that there was no way to correlate the GPS position with the available maps. Lost in the Gobi desert, they came to a fork in the track and guessed. Correctly. which was just as well with all the competitors following them.

In North India, they passed through villages where the inhabitants had never seen white people. The crowds pressed forward, reaching out to touch their faces. Doubtless they all have satellite TV and cell phones now, but Kamchatka still sounds pretty remote. My imagination is racing.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message