Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Sardinia - tips?

GA_Pete wrote:

I need to get out more

Gogogo :)

EBMO, EBKT

Predator wrote:

Tortolì-Arbatax ex airport: the runway ends directly on the beach! But it’s not allowed to GA right now, only ultralights.
https://goo.gl/maps/uFsNEydwzYQuxaFN8
Ask Aerclub Ogliastra for more info and permission.

Hi @Predator ! Do you have a contact for Aerclub Ogliastra?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi @Antonio you should look for AvioClub Ogliastra on Facebook and send them a text, but be careful, if you have a Cessna C210 you can’t go right now because it’s not certified yet, they are working on it.

Portugal

Predator wrote:

Hi @Antonio you should look for AvioClub Ogliastra on Facebook and send them a text, but be careful, if you have a Cessna C210 you can’t go right now because it’s not certified yet, they are working on it.

Correct, I contacted them via Facebook and they replied almost instantly. Very welcoming and friendly, but only open to ultralights!

My friend took this picture last week:

Last Edited by jvdo at 10 Sep 13:47
EBMO, EBKT

A friend of mine lives in Arbatax next door to the airfield…also Cagliari is so expensive and inconvenient to visit (2hr drive)

I thought Italian regulation, similar to Spanish, was not very specific as to the distinction between UL and Part 23 when it comes to aviosuperfici and non-approved airports…not the case?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

No.

Your best alternative would be the aviosuperfici of Dorgali (north) or Aliquirra (south).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

jvdo wrote:

Correct, I contacted them via Facebook and they replied almost instantly. Very welcoming and friendly, but only open to ultralights!

Re Tortoli, what a beautiful spot and airfield to be limited to ULMs! I was there in a PA28 in 1989 and have been wanting to go back ever since. It even had an IAP. It closed before I made it, but I haven’t given up hope!

LSZK, Switzerland

Resurrecting this old thread. I am considering taking the family, dog included, to Sardinia. It would be a VFR trip in the Fox Oscar, from/to Poland. Staying on the island in a tent for 3-6 full days, whenever weather permits in the last week of June/first week of July. No flying around (too little time for that).

Does anyone have any updates on air/ground logistics on Sardinia…? I mean – which is the best airfield for this trip? :)

I definitely need to rent a car. A nice camping relatively near the airfield is desired – so that we don’t have to drive long after what will surely be a long flight. Of course it would be nice to have all the other nice-to-haves: little hassle (… though I can grind my teeth and tolerate some if it helps with other aspects), AVGAS (… though I can leave the family to themselves one day and fly a fuel run myself), reasonable pricing (… though I have noticed that sometimes choosing a more expensive airport makes the car much cheaper)

I had a look at AvioClub Ogliastra facebook profile and apparently it is now possible to use LIET Tortolì-Arbatax! The airport has a web page https://www.aeroportotortoli.eu/ featuring a PPR form and a pricelist. Could be a low-hassle option on the cheaper side, if only I figure out the fuel logistics – perhaps I just fly to Propriano LFKO, which I know well… Getting car at LIET might be quite possible; I see there is a campsite within walking distance and there is also an Europcar outlet not far from the airfield, so maybe we could just set the tent right after arrival and then I would take care of the car on the next day, while the family is happily swimming in the sea.

So it looks promising. I wonder what is that part of Sardinia like, comparing to other parts? I have never been there!

Looking at the old discussions here I reckon that if it doesn’t work, then my best alternative is probably LIEO Olbia / Costa Smeralda. AIP says they have AVGAS and they also surely have a few car rental agencies. Our recent database entry says ~170 EUR for one night… guess with 4 pax/4 days it will amount to a few hundred – rather steep, but tolerable – and we’ll have to clear security and what else.

Any advice welcome :)

Last Edited by Mateusz at 31 May 19:28
EPKM, Poland

Tortoli is great, but not particularly cheap.
LDG was 25€ last fall, but PKG is 30€/night.
https://www.aeroportotortoli.eu/tariffe/

Town in walking distance, a bike or scooter (or rental car) helpful to see more.
Boat rental in Arbatax.

Went back via Bastia (good price fuel with BP card).

EDM_, Germany

It looks like Fox Oscar is an Arrow IV, correct? What are your personal minimum requirements for a runway? Length with the expected load for your trip at, say, 25°C? Do you insist on a paved runway or will you accept grass if good condition?

I was here in my C172 in Sept 2021. The strip is about 500m and the condition at that time was like a golf course… just perfect. In September I was the only aircraft but apparently it can get busy in the summer. I suggest you give the owner/operator a call if you want to consider it.

San Teodoro town is very close, and has car rental from a local outfit…. all the big name rentals are at Olbia which is of no use. I wrote it up …. check the airport database, search on San Teodoro. Beautiful area as you can see from the photos on the web site.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message