Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Sardinia - tips?

Avgas at Cagliari 4.28€ atm.
😳

Is there topless service !?

EBST, Belgium

Calvi is a pain-in-the-ass at the moment. I was just in Propriano and there was plenty of AVGAS, but it is always good to call to check availability. You don’t want to arrive there to hear they are out of AVGAS at the moment :-) I love this airfield. It is easy, relaxed and there is good food and places to stay in Propriano. Good basis for your flight to Alghero :-)

Check the notams for LFMD (Cannes) as they might state that there is no parking place left and then it becomes a bit complicated as they don’t even want you on the main apron for refueling only. Last week I arrived in Cannes and there was no AVGAS at all. They were investigating 2 accidents and had closed the fuel station for that reason. The airport was quiet, but once the AVGAS was available again it became the busy spot again that it always is in summer time.

EDLE, Netherlands

I couldn’t agree more that Propriano is great. The problem with Calvi is seasonal but all over the summer season. 2 years ago, the airport went under management of Casavia but the city of Calvi sort of agreed on work to do on the Aprons, but probably because of Covid, it took (and is still taking) quite longer. As a result, when I tried to go to Calvi on the first week of July, I have been refused from Friday Morning until Sunday evening, flight PPR on their website where systematically cancelled. They only admit Calvi airclub planes on their apron, and jet and commercial on main parking on the end of week, and small Ga may be permitted on early days of the week (monday to thursday).
Notam says (6 august to 30th October)
AD CALVI SAINTE CATHERINE RESTRICTIONS DUE TO WIP : – TAXIWAY A CLOSED – AVGAS STATION AND SOUTH PARKING AREA CLOSED – PARKING AREA C SPECIAL PROVISIONS : . WHEN STANDS C1, C5 AND C6 CLOSED : STANDS C2 AND C4 USABLE BY ACFT WICH WINGSPAN IS UNDER 21M AND LENGTH IS UNDER 20M. . WHEN STANDS C2 AND C4 CLOSED : STAND C3 USABLE BY ACFT WICH WINGSPAN IS UNDER 24M AND LENGTH IS UNDER 21M. – ON SATURDAYS, AD PROHIBITED TO ACFT WHICH MTOM IS UNDER 7T. – LIGHT AVIATION’ PROHIBITED ON PARKING AREA G (G1 A G7) EXC CALVI AIRCLUB AND SUBSCRIBERS. – PARKING AREA D HOURS OF OPS : MON-FRI : 0600-1600 SUN : 1400-SS+30 – BUSINESS AVIATION : PARK ON PARKING AREAS A, B AND C. – COMPULSORY HANDLING FOR ALL FLIGHTS.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 24 Aug 08:49
LFMD, France

Cagliari is in general pretty expensive – they charged me €170 for 45 min refueling stop.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It seems Alghero or Olbia are the best options. What would be the best area to stay for +/- 5 days?
Actually Aviosuperficie San Teodoro is also a nice option for me. It’s a short grass strip, but they have fuel :)

I’ll stop at Propriano for sure, I did a quick stop there for lunch a few years back in our previous plane.
However, I have never visited the city itself, is it worth a stay for a few days? Can you easily get a rental car in the area?

Last Edited by jvdo at 24 Aug 10:37
EBMO, EBKT

Flying to Sardinia from the UK we stopped in Cannes, Figari and Olbia. Flight was late September 2018, so outside the peak tourist season. From memory there may be parking PPR at Figari and Olbia in peak season.

Olbia had no Avgas so we topped off at Figari and stayed the night at Le Goéland in Porto Vechhio.

Short, scenic, easy flight VFR from Figari to Olbia.

Olbia has its own GA terminal with mandatory handling, but the service is exceptional and the cost very reasonable. We felt we had arrived in a Gulfstream, not an SEP: after we parked a golf cart came to take luggage followed by a car for the passengers. Hotel and car transfer arranged by the handling company. We stayed for two days; there are beautiful beaches on the Golfo Arancini.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

jvdo wrote:

However, I have never visited the city itself, is it worth a stay for a few days? Can you easily get a rental car in the area?

Not at the airfield for sure, but you may call arrange this before and ask them to get you on the field.

LFMD, France

Oristano closed.

It was “closed” in 2011 but “wasn’t” so maybe not is is “closed” again?

Is there topless service !?

There is a funny story about Italian pilots and graphic designers here

And people wonder why so many fly to/via Croatia instead…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the moment Alghero looks like the best option. Good airport, nice area, a lot of hotels & appartements available and I just received the airports pricing, which seems to good to be true.

Alghero Pricing: AHO_Diritti_Aeroportuali_pdf

Last Edited by jvdo at 24 Aug 19:49
EBMO, EBKT

I’ve just read (recently submitted) report about Olbia LIEO https://airports.euroga.org/record.php?id=803 which shows pretty decent prices for smaller GA aircraft three years ago. I wonder how much it is these days for the similar aircraft..

Last Edited by Emir at 25 Aug 05:55
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message