Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from Shoreham EGKA to Mali Losinj LDLO and Brac LDSB, May 2021

How are you getting the ATIS then?

• putting 2nd radio on and hoping to catch it (won’t work from near Lydd)
  • Golze ADL150 (which is how I did it – same info as above)

I guess a sat phone where you can actually call them while keeping the radio open would be a nice solution.

No usable in a plane unless connected into the intercom / headsets.

With a second pilot it would be easy.

Like I said, I could have done it (called up Shoreham, from abeam Lydd) but decided to not play with a likely foggy forecast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Golze ADL150 (which is how I did it – same info as above)

Are you talking about the METAR or can you actually get the ATIS on an ADL150?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The ATIS is same as the metar, with the addition of the current runway. It can change more often than a metar, potentially, but

is not a particularly great trend, if you know the area.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Are you talking about the METAR or can you actually get the ATIS on an ADL150?

The ADL devices only deliver the METAR. The ATIS which might contain additional information like the active runway and sometimes more is unfortunately not available to us except as a voice loop on the radio.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Do airfields even publish the ATIS generally? I know some have done so historically, on a phone number, which is a significant cost to the airfield.

Very unlikely to see more detail than FEW001 however. Never heard of such a thing.

Administrator

Peter,

out of professional interest: Who does the METAR there? It does not appear to be an Autometar but it carries no trend. That imho significantly devaluates the Metar.

ATIS is not normally dissipated via radio. I am aware that some airlines provide it via ACARS, but I am not sure where they get it from. Will try to find out, because if they are available via GTS or similar, then there is no reason why i.e ADL could not provide them. Some do indeed provide massively extended parameters, others will be similar to the METAR apart from runway in use e.t.c.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A qualified met observer.

Never heard of autometar.

I am sure there is nobody entering the details into any database, beyond the normal metar (which goes out via the AFTN or whatever). The taf comes from the UKMO which picks up the metar first.

I would be amazed if any UK airport is any different (below the level of EGKK etc).

Administrator

@LFHNflightstudent, I think some wires have been crossed here.
We were debating whether one should continue listening out on the frequency you are working on radio 1 whilst calling up the destination airport to get the latest information (weather, runway in use etc) on radio 2,
Or whether one should ask permission to leave the frequency for a short while to contact the destination ATS.and then announce that you are back on frequency on your return.
I was saying that SOP at the time I did my IR was to ask to leave frequency to in order to get “le dernier” and once you have got the information needed.
The ATS who thought I should work 2 radios at the same time was either in need of retraining or having a bad day as my instructor pointed out to him in his own way.
Personally, I find it very difficult to listen to and note ATIS even, let alone the destination controller, on radio 2 whilst monitoring radio 1 especially around busy hubs like London or Paris. The controllers there are giving continuous calls to all the different aircraft within its area and if you miss a call aimed at you, as @Peter wrote the controllers can get very tetchy. They don’t think amateurs should be in their zone and have no patience with them. On several occasions when under one or other of the London Control areas I have heard the controller ticking off any airline pilot for not responding as fast as the controller thinks he should. Paris is not quite so bad because the controller may have to switch languages which slows things down a little and the controller may not be quite so sure if it’s his fault by using the wrong language or the pilot for not paying attention.

Last Edited by gallois at 09 Jun 21:05
France

gallois wrote:

was to ask to leave frequency to in order to get “le dernier” and once you have got the information needed.

It’s drilled that way during training & exams and it’s acceptable to ask for “latest weather” in France for less busy ATC or just request leaving frequency

On leaving frequency without telling ATC, I had a funny story during same day trip O/R from Southend to Toussus with quick stop at Rouen both ways, on the way back LHS decided to split comms P1/P2, get Rouen ATIS, weather and talk to approach (and check if customs wants to see us, they saw us on out leg ), me on RHS, I kept talking to Paris Control on the climb

Turns out both of us were talking to the same guy on two different frequencies, I will let you imagine our cockpit confusion when ATC pointed it out ! another reason why it’s better to request frequency change

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jun 21:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would never leave the frequency (i.e. actually de-tune it or switch solely to the other radio) without advising them.

No qualms though about dialling up another frequency on Com2 and, if circumstances permit, switching the transmit over to that radio and conducting business. No different from getting the ATIS really – you just need to listen out for your callsign (the question is how much can you reduce the Com1 volume and still be able to hear your callsign?) and kill Com2 instantly if you hear it. Worst case you hear your callsign but not the message and you have to say “say again”.

Last Edited by Graham at 09 Jun 22:20
EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message