Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corsica - Solenzara LF-R

Thank-you, Boscomantico. We will depart on the mid-morning (10 LT). Maybe we will find good weather.
Would it be doable to pass west of the mountains, let’s say just touching the Calvi space (Calenzana) and then soutbound (Manso), to remain out both the Ajaccio space and the mountains (Ucciani – DCT Propriano)?
Thanks.
Camillo

Vejano Alituscia, Italy

Sure, most things are possible. But consider that you already have mountains between 5000 and 6000 feet in the Manso area. So, by going further west, you add a lot of miles and gain very little in terms of terrain.

I flew just one mile west of the westerly limit of R65, so I actually passed slightly east of Monte Includine and all the other mountains going north were just 6500 feet or less. All the 8000+ peaks were well west of me. Sorry, I haven’t got the SD tracklog with me right now, but here is the basic track.

PS: Fly earlier of you can.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Jun 13:37
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Understood. R65 is just close to Corte. Then, going south and adjust altitude per weather conditions.
Thanks.
Camillo

Vejano Alituscia, Italy

as flown a few days ago, on the 5th… quite active FR & IT military at the moment, but still received the LFKS transit, at the published 1’500ft. Ok, doing the RT in FR might help… 😇

Last Edited by Dan at 10 Jun 15:26
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan, did you change the flight plan in flight? .

Vejano Alituscia, Italy

@Camillo75, no I did not change the ATC flight plan which was avoiding to the West as Boscomantico shows above, but I changed my route and updated SD (which explains my route now over the FPL magenta route), which is a thing I quite often do (aaah, the liberties of VFR flying 😆).
The center of Corsica, as quite often after midday, was quite cloudy, whilst all the coast was clear. You could of course also avoid Solenzara to the East, but that entails some more overwater flying…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Thank.you. I think I will plan to go parallel to the R65 boundary and if friday will be sunny also on the monutains, I will make a direct approach from Corte to Propriano.
Grazie.
Camillo

Vejano Alituscia, Italy

Dan wrote:

Ok, doing the RT in FR might help…
Is doing RT in French really a plus to get ‘more’ from ATC?

boscomantico wrote:
I tried to get a “permission” via radio from Ajaccio Info two weeks ago to cross R65 VFR at 10000 feet. No chance.
The AIP describes Solenzara as the designated ATC unit for LFR65. Skydemon does not display that, unfortunately. Would trying directly with them create more chances, or is Ajaccio in direct contact with Solenzara?
Last Edited by Frans at 12 Jun 13:37
Switzerland

doing RT in French really a plus to get ‘more’ from ATC?

Well, as in all places, the use of a common language facilitates communication, QED. And can open some doors…
But for that one must be fluent in the chosen language, as for instance hesitations, mistakes, and/or a strong foreign accent (e.g. “français fédéral” 😉), will more hinder than help comms, and therefore the issuance of a given clearance might then get jeopardized.
The same thing being true, as already discussed within this honorable forum, for English. Using pro, clear, and direct wording helps in getting clearances.

Last Edited by Dan at 13 Jun 06:20
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Well, as in all places, the use of a common language facilitates communication, QED. And can open some doors…
Agreed, but I don’t have the experience that this counts for ATC conversations as well. Even more the opposite: Calling up Frankfurt in German will cause a disadvantage, compared to fluent English RT, let not even start with calling up Dutch ATC in Dutch. A friendly hello and goodbye in local language is for sure always nice, but when it comes to phraseology, I’ve had the best experiences with fluent English RT and never had any bad experience in France for that whatsoever. That’s why I was a bit surprised French RT would help…
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message