Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Security checks around the Adriatic?

As we all know, some airports — particularly but not only in Germany — insist on security checks for pilots and pax on GA flights. Does this typically happen in Croatia (Pula, Rijeka, Losinj, Zadar, Split, Brac, Dubrovnik…) or Slovenia (Portoroz)? I’ll be touring this area the coming two weeks and want to avoid hassle with bringing stuff from the aircraft that I won’t be permitted to take back.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Generally if the airport has airline service expect security checks and metal detectors. Mostly they are very swift and „laid back“, it’s more a pretend thing..

LJPZ does not have a metal detector :) iirc.

Unless you have weapons or ambiguous tools you will have no problems (water bottles, survival equipment etc..).

Unless you absolutely want to visit these larger airports I suggest smaller fields (portoroz, medulin, vrsar etc..) once you have done customs and immigration.

In the summer season when airline charter flights are active the BS factor is increased :( at the tourist gateways.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 02 Jun 20:55
always learning
LO__, Austria

Pula, Rijeka, Zadar, Split, Brac, Dubrovnik:
Airline style checks, as far as I remember they do not have a GA entrance but handling takes you through airline security.

Losinj:
They have the facilities but only check passports for GA

Portoroz:
None

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Places like Pula will be tighter due to airline presence but I have never had any problem with anything in the backpack getting confiscated there. I’ve done Pula, Ljlubljana, Portoroz, Mali Losinj, Brac, Split, Dubrovnik.

I am sure guns or ammunition will get picked up though Former Yugoslavia is full of that stuff an, officially at least there is an EU border involved.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am sure guns or ammunition will get picked up though

That won’t be a problem in my case. I’m more worried about “fluids” (sunscreens, soft drinks, hair shampoo etc.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Jun 08:40

Peter wrote:

there is an EU border involved.

Croatia and Slovenia are both EU as far as I know.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Croatia and Slovenia are both EU as far as I know.

Yes, but Croatia is not in Schengen.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Yes, but Croatia is not in Schengen.

That was never part of the argument

ESME, ESMS

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’m more worried about “fluids” (sunscreens, soft drinks, hair shampoo etc.)

Don’t worry, you can bring anything to the aircraft, tools included – they are aware it’s the only way to bring some stuff on board.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great. Thanks everyone.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message