Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to UK 2019 (with a dog)

schengen info

For US citizens Schengen should effectively be “one country/region” where they enter and can roam freely.

US residents from third countries may have restrictions depending on the visa they hold. Even within Schengen, because individual member states still have slightly differing national list of restricted countries.
These third countries are mostly ahem, usual suspects…
So, you would probably know, if your friends/passengers belong to this group…

For everyone else, means of travel only has the oft-discussed limitations (e.g. emergency rules after terrorist attacks)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 29 Apr 05:16
EDM_, Germany

“US residents from third countries may have restrictions depending on the visa they hold”

Which ones are GA related? I doubt that many crosses the atlantic and the only complaint I heard from a US citizen after landing in the UK was his lack of familiarity with PPR ;)

Yes, GA as means of travel have more limitations: you have to land on specific places and have an FP :) but I doubt someone with a stamped shengen visa on his passport (not exempt from one by a country) will have any issues flying internally around Shengen counties? or externally via port of entries?

But I heard one can’t go to the US on GA under the ESTA waiver program and will needs a stamped US visa? Maybe the same applies to Shengen, you just need a “stamped visa”…

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Apr 07:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We appreciate and are grateful if there are anyone who has great tips on attractive and friendly airfields we can visit on the road. Possible lodging and dining options at airfield?

Some suggestions for the origianl question:

EGLS Old Sarum airfield. Visit on a weekday, so that you can hire a car locally. Then you can visit Stonehenge, Avesbury (also a stone circle, but less touristy, and more athmospheric) and Sailsbury town.

I note that you’re going to the east coast of Scotland. But from a scenery from the air, point of view, the west coast is really worth a visit. Routing from Colonsay (EGEY) up to Coll (EGEL) up to Skye Isle and then the town of Fort William, back to Oban (EGEO) will give you spectacular scenery.

Colonsay & Coll are both nice places to walk around, if you like the peace and quite and a ramble in the country side. Just don’t expect lots of entertainment. The hotel on Coll is quite nice. I’ve not stayed on the one on Colonsay, but eaten in it, and it seems nice (but I’ve not seen the bedrooms). Colonsay airfield to Colonsay hotel is about a 45 minute walk. Coll airport to Coll hotel requires a taxi.

Glenforsa airfield (grass-no ICAO identifer) is also nice, in that it’s in a scenic location and the hotel, which does nice food, is adjacent to the airfield.

EGCK Caernarfon has a castle in the town that’s well worth seeing. The town is about £20 in a taxi from the airfield.

I hope that gives you some ideas

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Many good points here, and interesting route suggestions. We checking out the airfields and route. Our plan now is to fly west side northbound and east side south, or vice versa. Depending on weather.

All the best and thanks for all the info.

Jan E

BTW, we have decided to leave Charley at home.

Flying out of the UK with your dog is less of a problem. I once ferried 2 labrador retriever pubs from Midland Airport to Rotterdam in a Twin.

EDLE, Netherlands
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message