Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Channel Islands and UK - customs, flight plans, etc.

PepperJo wrote:

I just learned that I need a GenDec for the Netherlands coming from the UK (1.2.4.3) and was wondering if there is a special GenDec form for the Netherlands or if this page 71 is what they want. If so where would I send this to?
I’m aware that there are a few websites which offer this as a service, e.g. onlinegar.com or gendec.eu but I’m a bit reluctant to give them all my personal data.

Just to answer my own question. The ICAO GenDec form is sufficient and at least in EHAM handling is taking care of distributing it.

lionel wrote:

While the Channel Islands are not in the EU, they are in the EU customs area. They are not in the EU VAT area. Since Customs is also in charge of collecting VAT (in addition to customs duties) on imports, one does indeed have to present oneself to Customs… but not for customs!

So much fun :-) Out of the 6 legs of my trip only 1 does not need any GenDec/GAR or similar form.

Switzerland

Timothy wrote:

The first thing you need to know is that the Channel Isles are not in the UK, nor in the EU. They are independent as far as Customs go.

While the Channel Islands are not in the EU, they are in the EU customs area. They are not in the EU VAT area. Since Customs is also in charge of collecting VAT (in addition to customs duties) on imports, one does indeed have to present oneself to Customs… but not for customs!

ELLX

I just learned that I need a GenDec for the Netherlands coming from the UK (1.2.4.3) and was wondering if there is a special GenDec form for the Netherlands or if this page 71 is what they want. If so where would I send this to?
I’m aware that there are a few websites which offer this as a service, e.g. onlinegar.com or gendec.eu but I’m a bit reluctant to give them all my personal data.

Thanks,
Jonas

Switzerland

I don’t understand the difference.

The UK offers the AFPEX tool, which gives direct AFTN access (and that is unique in Europe, for ordinary private pilots) but the user still has to do the addressing, which for VFR is not trivial. I vaguely recall that later versions of the AFPEX Java app had some support for the addressing rules, but it would amaze me if they implement the AIPs from all of Europe, within the Java app, and have some unix hacker person at Swanwick keeping them all current.

Whereas if a pilot is using say EuroFPL then he just needs to enter the departure and destination and their server will generate all the required addressing, using a database of rules which they compiled from the various AIPs. SD use EuroFPL, while EasyVFR use Rocketroute (and RR does what EuroFPL does).

And the above is the same for every country in Europe. If a German pilot can supply AFPEX with a UK address (perhaps a “temporary” one ) he can get the AFPEX account and use it for flight plans, worldwide.

BTW, KBLIHAEX is an airport. KBLI is Bellingham International in the US. HAEX is an AFTN gateway, one of many in the US which are offering a subscription service for AFTN access.

This is a screenshot from EuroFPL. You just type the stuff in

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, my bad. Thanks Peter!

Switzerland

But certainly not an ARO.

It is very simple: largely, only the UK “allows” direct filing. All other European countries still use indirect filing, where the flightplan must initially be sent to an ARO/central AIS, which checks it over and then distributes it to all interested parties. The reasons are partly laid out in the linked post.

That is more the point of it. Whether it needs or is allowed to be sent via AFTN or not is a minor sidenote.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Jun 20:30
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That article is from 2013.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

and that is how you do it. EuroFPL is an external agency. Search EuroGA for KBLIHAEX, etc.

More e.g. here.

Ok, I’m confused. Why are they using fax instead?

Switzerland

(except messages from other AROs).

and that is how you do it. EuroFPL is an external agency. Search EuroGA for KBLIHAEX, etc.

More e.g. here. I would be amazed if they still fax them, because the Autorouter (I was one of its first testers too) has to do AFTN filing for Z or Y flight plans, and I am pretty sure they were not sending it by fax. If you really had to, there are still email2fax services.

But anyway none of this applies to the UK

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Every country allows AFTN messages for VFR FPLs; it is just that for job protection reasons there is sometimes an internal “manual step”.

Define “Allows”. The AIP is pretty clear for the Netherlands (1.1.2.3.2.):

AFTN or SITA shall not be used for submission of flight plans and or flight plan related messages (except messages from other AROs).

Last Edited by PepperJo at 24 Jun 18:58
Switzerland
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message