Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The passing of HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, RIP

I thought it was well known that he was an avid flyer. Not only him but also several more in the family. The Prince of Wales flew a lot, prince Andrew flew helos in the Navy as did Prince William. And Harry flew choppers as well.

A long and eventful life if a man who dedicated most of it to the service for his Queen and Country. My thoughts are with Her Majesty and her family.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 10 Apr 13:50
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A very good obituary in the Guardian of all places . They also explain that most of his “gaffes” were heavily embellished or even made up by the press. The writer was quite critical of the role of the press in Philipps life. Overall, a very respectful article and I learned a lot about him by reading it.

I knew that he was born in Corfu because my wife and I actually visited his birthplace by accident while on holiday there. It’s in the city of Corfu, very close to the airport actually.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Prince of Wales (Charles) didn’t do anywhere near Philip’s ~6k hrs, AFAIK.

I visited the house in Corfu too. He never returned there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I didn’t know Charles flew at all? In The Crown he’s shown as being a terrified passenger when his father flew between Scotland and London!

William flew SAR with the RAF and Harry flew Apaches on active service in Afghanistan. Even Andrew, who is not at all popular these days, flew helos on active service in the Falklands and was probably in real harm’s way more than any other royal since Philip in the Royal Navy in WW2.

EGLM & EGTN

Charles flew a bit in the military but I am not sure he was ever PIC in anything. He packed it in when he went off the runway in Scotland. According to an RAF guy I knew, the P2 could see the outcome but was terrified to say anything because of presumed instant career termination.

I am fairly sure Philip would have done most of his 6k hrs dual, for reasons to do with “Royal Family safety”. Plus he would have had 24/7 armed protection all his life.

Good article in the Guardian.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Medewok thank you for posting the link, impressive obituary.

My understanding is that Prince Charles was a competent pilot, Islay notwithstanding, and progressed in his training on target.

The personal hack used to be a Beagle Bassett B.206 back in the 1970’s I believe. The UK’s attempt to break into the cabin class piston twin market, unsuccessfully I add.

http://www.britishaviation-ptp.com/b/beagle_b206.html

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

On the 13th of March 1981 HRH Prince Philip officially reopened Wellesbourne Mountford Aerodrome giving the aerodrome a new lease of life as a civilian aerodrome. Prince Philip flew in to Wellesbourne piloting a HS748 Andover of the Queen’s Flight.

EGBW, United Kingdom

“I am fairly sure Philip would have done most of his 6k hrs dual, for reasons to do with “Royal Family safety”. Plus he would have had 24/7 armed protection all his life.”
In a Turbulent?
I thought Charles was P2 in the Islay incident. Runway 02/20. In the US it would be 2/20. Downwind landing. AFIS gave correct runway but she accepted what RAF aircraft was doing without comment. Captain was criticized by the RAF enquiry – correctly in my opinion.
I, a PPL, have allowed someone else to land when P1, but on the understanding it was on my accident record if that happened.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message