Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Technology which is "just around the corner"

@Snoopy

Yes it is.
And most important, you get a local phone number.
Which means you can be reached easily at no cost, and you CANNOT RECEIVE SMS !

The only issue that I can see with FADEC on an air cooled aircraft engine, other than long term minded customers not buying it (see Continental IOF-240), is that it’s relatively hard to get a cylinder head temperature signal. Each air cooled cylinder needs independent temperature measurement, whereas with liquid cooled heads you can measure coolant temperature and it applies to all cylinders. You might also get away with the same fuel mapping for all cylinders.

Having just spent a couple of months chasing a subtle coolant leak on a 20 year old car, and being aware of the mind bending costs for e.g. Thielert engine cooling hose kits, I like my air cooled, carbureted engine that just runs and runs and runs, year after year. No ‘software upgrades’, no leaky water pump seals that can’t be observed without dodging a propeller, no periodic hose replacements and no bleeding the system of air every time you do them. Friends are messing around with coolant on a P-51 they manage right now, draining and filling with distilled water, ground running and flushing again in order to switch coolant types in conjunction with a forthcoming engine change. No thanks.

What could be improved is the ignition system, eliminating unlubricated mechanisms and adding low MP timing advance for high altitudes, as long as it is self powered. I don’t want my engine to be reliant on a battery.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Dec 17:39

FADEC is alive and well at Rotax. Could just be that adding it to the regular Lycosaurus is a bit like trying to mate a dinosaur with a horse.

That said, I don’t really see the point. About the only advantage I can think of is that you don’t have to lean, Big deal.

LFMD, France

The market acceptance has been poor though, and probably for a reason.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

even simple electronic ignition is practically dead in the certified market

Well, is it really? Both ElectroAir and SureFly have STCs with fairly decent AMLs.
The question of “being worth it” is a different one, but the “no maintenance” does sound good, and likely is true.
I’m pretty sure the Lycoming EIS is just a SureFly

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Just about battery hit.
I run Groundwire on an iPhone. This app is able to use « push » protocol. Hence incoming calls are available as long as you have data ON (I never switch them off) and battery is not drained.
My VOIP provider is OVH. All in all, for 1€ per month, I have a professional phone number, and great flexibility with it (possibility for example to define DO NOT DISTURB periods, voice message sent to mail, etc)

@PetitCessnaVoyageur

Is it possible to create a separate phone number using this?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 22 Dec 09:24
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

There are lots of examples in GA. Autoland, FADEC, even simple electronic ignition is practically dead in the certified market.

The first of those might be something of a solution looking for a problem?

The second two are technically trivial, but I think come up against the core issue of preference for a piston engine that runs without any electrical power. Whether this is extreme and unnecessary conservatism, or a good idea, is another question!

EGLM & EGTN

I think everybody got the impression this is about IPV6 only

There are lots of examples in GA. Autoland, FADEC, even simple electronic ignition is practically dead in the certified market.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I sometimes wonder whether the lack of IPv6 adoption is due to it being a few steps too far.

Dealing with 128 bits addresses was a challenge in 2000, but it isn’t now. In our product we simply use the 128-bit instructions that the X86 has had for about the last 10 years. The product (IP bandwidth management and monitoring) handles IPv4 and IPv6 entirely equally, doesn’t care which you use. (Internally all addresses are represented as IPv6). I suspect that’s true of most network products these days.

IPv6 is JUST IPv4 with bigger addresses. That wasn’t true in the original concept, which had all sorts of other “good ideas” tacked on (like flow ID), but they have all fallen by the wayside.

LFMD, France

IPv6 is really not that unweildy. No one cares about 128 bit addressing because it’s all hidden by DNS.

My development network at work is pure IPv6; too many conflicts with our team’s home IPv4 networks for the VPN, so the VPN is exclusively IPv6. Everything just works (except Chrome’s non-RFC compliant behaviours, but the expedient to avoid that is to simply use Firefox instead).

Andreas IOM
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message