Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 GT with RGV GNS530W - upgrade for VNAV / LPV / P-RNAV?

I am in the process of my CBIR theory training and as part of looking towards the practical training have discovered that my TB20 GT GNS530W installation is not approved for VNAV / LPV or P-RNAV (RGV document uploaded).

Is anyone able to advise why this might be so, and if it is possible (noting the document is dated 15 May 2009), what would be the minimal changes required to have the installation upgraded to obtain approval such that the aircraft can be used to facilitate addition of PBN to the CBIR rating.

ETGR, United Kingdom

RGV_GRN530W_PBN_REF_CCF_000197_pdf
oops – here is the document referred to.

ETGR, United Kingdom

@wigglyamp may know the process for your G-reg.

I think PRNAV died years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have you asked RGV?

EGTF, United Kingdom

You could buy a copy of Gama Aviation’s EASA STC 10037701 which will give you the full GNS530W capability (subject to the installation passing a few simple inspections and functional tests). PM me if you’d like more details. I don’t work there anymore but can point you to the right person.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I am awaiting a response from RGV. I did locate a FAA document 190- 00357-03 REV G that suggests approval possible if N reg.

ETGR, United Kingdom

wigglyamp wrote:

You could buy a copy of Gama Aviation’s EASA STC 10037701 which will give you the full GNS530W capability (subject to the installation passing a few simple inspections and functional tests). PM me if you’d like more details. I don’t work there anymore but can point you to the right person.

Thank you! Have messaged you accordingly.

ETGR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think PRNAV died years ago.

For all practical purposes PRNAV is the same as RNAV 1. GM1 to NCO.IDE.A.195 also states that an aircraft approved for PRNAV is allowed to fly RNAV 1.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A non WAAS 530 would satisfy PBN (no LPV in post Brexit UK), unless it isn’t approved for IFR – they forgot to hook up something in the installation, for example a CDI!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The thing is, that ex-RGV AFMS is dated 2009, which is a different era.

My KLN94 GPS AFMS, dated ~2000, didn’t support any GPS approaches! I had to fix it, with some effort but it had to be done because I have a significant social media profile and if you ask for a GPS approach, lots of people will hear it on the radio.

Socata could possibly be excused for selling $250k planes in year 2000-2002 with such an arrogant deficiency (which 99% of owners never noticed) in Europe (and they were doing the same for the GNSx30 version, IIRC) and 2009 is probably on a similar scale relative to LPV.

RNAV1 is nonsense; all these boxes can do RNAV1 and the GNS will have all the procedures in the database (the KLN94 doesn’t have RNAV1 SIDs/STARs).

@Steven_P does your 530W fly LPV with the autopilot?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message