Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 GT with RGV GNS530W - upgrade for VNAV / LPV / P-RNAV?

Peter wrote:

@Steven_P does your 530W fly LPV with the autopilot?

I have yet to any PBN aspect of the GNS530W. I very much enjoy flying radar vector ILS approaches manually as I find it very satisfying but when I discovered PBN was an “add on” to the CBIR I started to look into what the aircraft avionics configuration needed to be to support CBIR practical training / examination to learn the installation fell short but thanks to this forum it seems there is a relatively cost effective solution. I am presently following this up and will update the forum accordingly.

I would be interested to know if full GNS530W capability provides compliance with RNAV1, RNP2, RNP1 and any of: Advanced RNP, RNP APCH or RNP AR APCH on a standalone basis or if additional avionics are required in addition to the (single) GNS530W such that the avionics will permit me to do anything I am every likely to want to do once CBIR is achieved,

ETGR, United Kingdom

Gosh I have never even heard of some of these, like RNP2… Has somebody dug up some book of acronyms? IFR flying is actually quite simple

A GNS530W is a WAAS/EGNOS (SBAS is the generic term) GPS navigator. It will do enroute and GPS approach guidance (H and V i.e. LNAV approaches and LPV approaches). I am not sure if it does +V; probably not. It contains a VHF radio COM+NAV so you can fly LOC+GS (i.e. ILS) with it.

To do all this legally you should have an AFMS but that’s just paper.

The key thing to check is whether the GPS is correctly wired to a) a CDI and b) the autopilot. You need to be able to fly both ILS and LPV on autopilot. Also check the OBS mode is working, with the HSI/EHSI/etc course pointer wired back to the GPS so the course pointer is displayed on the GPS when OBS mode is selected. I know a guy who installed hundreds of GNS boxes without doing this, or indeed providing the customer with any paperwork

It does not contain a DME so for approaches where DME is mandatory you need a DME box. For approaches where an NDB is mandatory you need to carry an ADF.

Yes; the box will do all you need for an IR. Actually the ancient KLN94 does all one needs too, except +V and LPV

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Gosh I have never even heard of some of these, like RNP2… Has somebody dug up some book of acronyms? IFR flying is actually quite simple

Yes – straight out of the Bristol Ground School navigation theory training manual and I omitted RNP 0.3 (helicopters apparently) !!

Peter wrote:

To do all this legally you should have an AFMS but that’s just paper.

What is an AFMS?

Fortunately I have DME and ADF.

ETGR, United Kingdom

Aircraft Flight Manual Supplement.

An insert in your POH (pilot operating handbook). When you install a major piece of avionics (not sure of the definition) you need to have an AFMS with it which describes what it does, etc. It has certain prescribed sections. An autopilot definitely needs one, a GPS navigator needs one, a fuel totaliser may need one.

The AFMS normally comes from the factory (if the said item was factory installed; usually it is then installed under the factory Type Certificate) or if the item was retrofitted it comes with the STC (or Field Approval if N-reg) etc. Sometimes a sample AFMS can be found in the back of the Installation Manual so the installer should generate it. Many/Most installations do not have an AFMS because it is only in recent years that the awareness came in, so these installations are technically illegal Fortunately AFMS enforcement is approximately zero. But you need to make sure everything works, as I wrote above.

Read this for background.

Bristol Ground School navigation theory

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You should read the PPL/IR PBN manual.

RNP 2 etc. are all different navigational performance specifications used for different purposes. For flying airplanes in continental Europe all we’ll need is RNAV 5, RNAV 1, RNP 1 and RNP APCH. Intercontinental operations use different specifications.

Basically, the figure specifies the expected course keeping accuracy (*) in NM. RNP means that the navigation system has built-in error checking and alterting, while RNAV means it does not. RNAV specifications are used in radar environments where any course deviations can be detected by the radar controller. But there is more to it than that. Every particular combination comes with a specific set of additional functional and intergrity requirements. E.g. RNP 10 and RNP 4, which are intended for oceanic flight and flights in other remote areas, require two independent navigation systems in the aircraft.

( * ) This is not the same as the accuracy of the navigation system. The course keeping accuracy takes into account the expected accuracy of the pilot. This means that (as I understand it) DME/DME does not meet RNAV 1 requirements if you fly using raw data – you must use an FD or AP – while GNSS, having better positioning accuracy, meets those requirements even if the pilot flies on raw data.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 May 08:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Delighted to announce that due to the excellent members of this forum and special mention for @wigglyamp for the princely sum of 300 Euros my TB20 now has this STC and officially the following capability:

(a) RNAV 5 (BRNAV) in accordance with EASA AMC20-4

(b) PRNAV operations in accordance with JAA TGL-10

(c) GPS non-precision approach in accordance with AMC20-27 including Baro-VNav approaches using geometric altitude

(d) LPV approaches in accordance with AMC20-28.

Granted no LPV in UK and I do not have Baro-VNav

Luckily the aircraft was undergoing its annual and so it was very easy for the appropriate compliance checks to be carried out as a result of which teh entire process has taken just a couple of weeks.

With respect to:Airborne_Again wrote:

You should read the PPL/IR PBN manual.

I discovered while at the Private Flyer event at Wycombe Air Park last weekend you can purchase this as a hard copy from Pooleys or the authors for about £6.50 – more than the ink and paper would cost me!

I now look forward to learning how to put the technology and underlying theory into practice

Thank you all.

ETGR, United Kingdom

Great!!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message