Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Svalbard Longyear ENSB - looking for info (and flying above 70N)

Mechanics suspect turbo.

I had all indications green but degrading speed. Looked for every issue possible (before turning back which was a mistake) then at some point couldn’t get more than 70% indicated. Actual power likely 25% or so (going same speed as with engine feathered), but fuel flow etc still nominal.
I’ll post when know more, probably on a I learnt thread

For those flying DA42s, 115 kts with both throttles full forward at some point on the way back (about 1h flying until over land).

Last Edited by Noe at 12 Feb 10:45

Damn typical….

What went wrong with the engine?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Murphy’s law: now sitting in Tromsø, waiting for the commercial flight (back up) and beautiful CAVOK/
perfect conditions for flying

Thanks

Mooney driver, yes haven’t posted yet on the “to the scene of the crash” but t certainly came to mind. Pitch dark night about 1h from land is really like IMC. On the other end, I wouldn’t obviously had gone on an SEP

Noe wrote:

Cancelled this trip on the first leg as had a 7700 over the north sea yesterday (power issues with one of the engines).
Exercising the commercial flights options now. But hopefully another time!

Ouch! Good to have you back!

Good thing you are flying a Twin…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Noe wrote:

Cancelled this trip on the first leg as had a 7700 over the north sea yesterday (power issues with one of the engines).

Glad you’re still able to post here! The North Sea is one place you don’t want to have a 7700.

ESME, ESMS

Noe wrote:

I’m not sure what the change entails.

Here. From some other place I think I read the reason is that the airport does not fulfill the technical standards necessary for an international airport (and never will, and never really has). It makes no difference though, it’s still business as usual.

Edit, more explanation here.

Last Edited by LeSving at 27 Nov 08:22
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Noe wrote:

@Peter-H regarding your Svalbard video on the ENSZ discussion, was it in actual Svalbard? If so, long time ago? They don’t seem to allow scenic flights any longer. Look s like you went in the summer. I’m flying in the strategic period where there is complete darkness (for Auroras) but where there still is civilian twilight (DA42 only certified for day VFR above 72N). The sun will actually rise for above the horizon for first time after a couple of month while I’m there.

Hi Noe, it was my video, yes it is the flight up from the southern coast of Svalbard towards Longyearbyen. We went there in 2006, before the “rules” changed. We saw the Aurora on the way up, (In Leknes, and in Tromsø) where we night stopped. There was no darkness once we got to Svalbard. Flying there in the dark would be a shame, we got the best of both worlds (Snow and daylight) by going just after spring Equinox.

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 25 Nov 16:42
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message