Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Survey of GA accidents

Some statements above are too broad and missing context to make anything of them apart from sounding good and showing confidence.

Some things that sprang to my mind:

- Negative training
- „I’ll show you what’s possible“
- „It has always worked“

We don’t have good data for GA accidents so the safety curve is flat vs. the airlines where it’s still improving.

There used to be 500hr pilots in new turbine planes e.g. M600 that flew 100% of planned flights 24/7 in all weather down to published minima. At 5000hrs (and in some cases in a even more sophisticated plane) they don’t fly at night, no longer mess with ice and keep some margin on minima. Oh, they also no longer post „war stories“ on the internet. Go figure.

Apparently, more pilots bought the farm during stall exercises than during actual stalls. Go figure again.

ADM is huge, at least that’s my take on it.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 21 Nov 19:47
always learning
LO__, Austria

I agree we don’t grow unless we are going outside our comfort zones. Just curious how you actually do this in an aircraft.

Easy fly a Pitts :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I disagree with most of these statements. For activities with natural hazards, plan for 100% safety. Pushing your limits come from unforecast events. My personal experiences have been sea and river canoeing, sea sail and power cruising, hill walking, and flying.
The “Just Do It” slogan is fine in controlled situations, with help available.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yep. A Pitt’s is perfect. Try a stall with the ball off one side. Flicks are good place to start too. All I’m saying is practice the dark arts of the limits when there is an out. And I totally agree Antonio. If you think you’re legal you’re safe, then VERY good luck …..

Last Edited by Pig at 21 Nov 23:24
Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

When I am alone or other pilots I tend to keep the fun going, I have to fly the heck out of it: make every visual landing a glide approach, do stalls in IMC, climb my glider in convective clouds, cruise at 50ft, do 1.05*VS approach, aerobatics, fly different types…

Cruising at 50ft doesn’t count as pushing your limits, unless you’re inverted, of course. As for stalls in IMC, they’re only challenging if you cut the engine off and are in icing conditions.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

Cruising at 50ft doesn’t count as pushing your limits, unless you’re inverted, of course. As for stalls in IMC, they’re only challenging if you cut the engine off and are in icing conditions.

You are raising the bar too much with the second one for the first one anytime bellow 300ft agl you don’t have a good horizon, you can’t fly inverted safely

One thing I did not dare yet is practicing forced landings in valleys, I am less tempted to lower my height near 500ft or go to corners just to test that….I am very inclined to think it will not go very well, the first time will be one shot to practice and probably the last one, meanwhile I pray so the engine keeps running !

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Nov 11:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message