Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Super Dimona or a Phoenix U15 - what reg for both Europe and the US?

10 Posts

I was already having a hard time trying to decide between buying a Super Dimona (certified motor glider) or a Phoenix U15 (ULM in Europe and LSA in USA), but now I need to take into account another (big) factor: a potential move to Boston. In any case this move to USA, at least for now, will be for a period of 5 to 10 years, and after that period I will return to Europe. I guess that because it’s 2 different categories of aircrafts, the rules might be quite different. If it was a normal plane, it would be easier to sell and buy a new (second hand plane), but the touring motor glider is a very small market niche which makes it totally unpredictable. Renting is not optimal because it comes with some limitations, like availability and being able to do 1 or 2 weeks trips. Renting a Touring Motor Glider in Europe is not too difficult, so for the sake of simplicity I could do it, but in Massachusetts I haven’t found a single place to rent a TMG!

It would be great if someone has the answers for my questions:
1- How much does it cost shipping a plane from Europe to Boston?
2- Being already mine, do I need to pay any import taxes in USA? And when returning to Europe?
3- Can I keep the European registration legally? A D registration if it is the Dimona or French registration if it is the Phoenix.
3.1 – If you take into account maintenance and annuals does it make sense to keep an European registration?
4- What are the costs of changing the registration to USA? And back to Europe?

Please identify if your answers is for a certified aircraft or for a ULM/LSA, or both

Switzerland

Some answers…

1. I shipped my much-missed 182 from Hayward, CA to France. The shipper charged me about $10K, and another $3K or so to reassemble the plane in France.
3.1 There is just about zero chance of finding EASA maintainers in the US. I’ve never seen a foreign “small plane” on a ramp in the US, except occasionally a visiting C-reg.

Don’t know for the others.

LFMD, France

You will really struggle being N-reg in Europe with an uncertified aircraft. Germany is the only place. Check some threads in the non certified section.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nothing uncertified makes a lot of sense if you’re moving the plane between countries and only US register aircraft are very often based outside of their own country or region. I think the only practical option for ownership and operation in both Europe and the US would be a certified N-registered plane. If you someday want to transfer registration to a European register you could do that although there’s no particular need to do so, and plenty of reasons not to do so.

If you’re moving to the US, buy the plane in the US. If you’re contemplating taking it to a European register after a period of years, make sure it is a type with an EASA type certificate. I see there have been several Super Dimonas for sale in the US over the past few years, and one in eastern Canada right now that likely could be put on N-register without a huge hassle. You might also want to consider what type of plane works best in Boston.

I am BTW the product of a ‘short term’ move to the US, that in reality has stretched from two years (planned) to 50 years so far (reality). You probably shouldn’t make a complicated plan based on everything going exactly as you now anticipate.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jan 15:53

Does the USA have a “TMG” class rating at all, or is it seen as either a “SEP” or sailplane?

There are a very few N-registered Super Dimona’s in the US, however, they are called or referred to as “Katana Xtreme”. This was based on a different marketing approach from Diamond, as they began selling their Super Dimona after the Katana (DA20) on the US market. Even though the Katana is pretty common and well-sold in the US, the Katana X-treme was a flop, AFAIK.

See also this:

Last Edited by Frans at 26 Jan 21:52
Switzerland

Does the USA have a “TMG” class rating at all, or is it seen as either a “SEP” or sailplane?

“TMG” doesn’t exist under FAA regulations. (Also by the way “SEP” doesn’t exist because there is no limitation to piston engines for PPSEL rated pilots)

A motor glider under FAA rules is a glider, meaning at minimum a glider rating is needed with self launch endorsement, but not necessarily a power plane rating, and no medical certification. The latter has traditionally been the reason people fly them, particularly before FAA Light Sport came along and allowed no-medical flying in a different range of planes.

There are eligibility limitations on the motor glider per FAA AC 21.17-2, which defines a self-launching glider as:

a) The number of occupants does not exceed two
b) Maximum weight does not exceed 850 kg (1874 pounds), and
c) The maximum weight to wing span squared (w/b2) does not exceed 3.0 kg/m2 (0.62 lb./ft.2)

If it doesn’t meet the requirements above, it usually requires e.g. an FAA PPSEL rating and also a medical unless it fits within LSA. Note that this FAA definition apparently does not cover several designs certified as self-launching gliders in Europe under EASA standards. However the Diamond HK36 (regardless of marketing name) apparently does qualify, Aviation Consumer article here

A significant issue for these types in the US is that they don’t fit into many hangars with wings installed. A couple I know got a great deal on a long wing Pipistrel and he built special dollies so that it could just barely fit diagonally into their hangar.

Some background info from EAA here. Original FAA Advisory Circular here

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jan 22:54

The Ximango is only TMG which fits the bill of fitting into a standard hangar with foldable wings without to much hassle. The type is certified in Europe and also flying in FAA land. Unfortunately Aeromot seized production. The original design was a French RF10.
https://ximangousa.com/
I build myself a wing folding mechanism for a Taifun about 15 years ago..Storage of motorglider is a pain… Stemme has also a folding system but a very complex one….There are sometimes TMGs for sale in the US check Wingsandwheels…you may be lucky…..Flying a TMG in FAA land is more a glider endorsement (see Silvairs explanation). Flying N reg would be possible I think, but you need an EASA equivalent license to fly under LAPL or TMG (see EU regulation)and have the FAA glider endorsement to fly legally an N reg TMG in Europe IMHO…quite a hassle. The RF10 hence Ximango were tested/certified under JAR22..see story from Fournier in his book " mon reve et mes combats".
An interesting video btw a sinus and Ximango.(ICAO=RF10)…except the certification basis…

Last Edited by Vref at 27 Jan 11:04
EBST

Vref wrote:

Stemme has also a folding system but a very complex one

Why do you find the wing folding of a Stemme complex?
https://www.stemme-powergliders.ch/en/aircraft/auenfluegel-faltvorrichtung/index.html
I’d rather call it the only non complex part of an S 10
The S10 really is an ingenious construction but they ask insane prices….

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

d rather call it the only non complex part of an S 10

I agree in respect to the complexity of the rest of the machine! The Taifun has a similar tube linkage with automatic flight control coupling. My experience with doing this every time you go flying that it causes a certain wear on the couplings in the case of the Taifun. No experience with the Stemme. In six months or so I can report on the Ximango. I flew it in October and loved it!

EBST

The Ximango is only TMG which fits the bill of fitting into a standard hangar with foldable wings without to much hassle. The type is certified in Europe and also flying in FAA land.

Just in case it is of interest, one of these has just been listed for sale in the eastern US link here I’d bet that it could be bought for measurably less than $68K or €64K. My employer owned one years ago, might even be this one, eventually selling it after using it for the intended purpose but apparently it took a long time to sell.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Feb 05:05
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message