Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Registration cost in Germany (or other EASA country)

Hi,

I am searching for a second hand touring motor glider (certified) and I asked a brand official dealer how much would it cost to register in Germany. They told me that it would be between 5k to 10k Eur if I buying it in EASA country or double if I buy in USA or Canada. I must confess that this was a complete surprise for me. Can you please share your experience of how much does cost the “legalization” paperwork to have the plane in your name?

Buying in EASA country and keeping the same registration
Buying in EASA country and change the registration to Germany
Buying outside EASA and change the registration to Germany
Buying outside EASA and keeping the same registration (is that even possible for US or Canada registration?)

Thanks,
Joaquim

Switzerland

I have had planes in Estonian and Danish register, for ES- its 45EUR < 750kg and 130 EUR 750..5700kg. + about the same for airworthiness review , radio permit etc.
For OY it was also small 3 digit number, maybe 200 EUR.

EETU, Estonia

I think the price given by the dealer to JFonseca is a price that includes their work in making it happen, but ivark mentions only the fees taken by the CAA itself?

ELLX

between 5k to 10k Eur if I buying it in EASA country

How is this possible?

Everyone has been saying for years that EASA to EASA is “just a paper exercise”. I know it isn’t because the accepting CAA might “find something”.

For N-reg to EASA, yes, that is a different thing. You need an Export CofA. And then you get European acceptance criteria which are designed to discourage this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know someone who transferred a G-reg to F-reg some 10 years ago when UK was still part of EASA, and it was certainly more than a paper exercise. I don’t know the costs, but there were requirements for changes that needed to be made before the F-reg would be accepted by France. The aircraft had a valid G-reg CofA to start with. It was a normal certified aircraft, not Annex I.

Last Edited by chflyer at 10 Feb 13:18
LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Everyone has been saying for years that EASA to EASA is “just a paper exercise”.

Everyone says that, in theory it should be so, but still my Netherlands-to-Luxembourg EASA-to-EASA was a ton work. Nothing to change on the aircraft itself (except the obvious like transponder S mode code, ELT code, …), but a ton of time spent with the inspector looking into the paperwork, the AMP, the POH, physically inspecting the plane, …

ELLX

Hmmm; everyone has been saying that on EuroGA for years, and I’ve generally tried to get across the message that this is not assured. To give just one example, I know of a case where the value of a ~150k plane was probably halved from going D to G (pre brexit) because a certain company (with a, shall we say, fanatical reputation) misread an STC which they had installed some time beforehand, and the importing CAA spotted it (amazingly). I won’t post how this was solved.

I would think that within EASA land there isn’t a lot of point in moving registers unless you want to avoid some specific thing where there is some country dependence. In the past a popular one was the Cessna wing spar ADs. But these country variations tend to go away… well they are “technically illegal” in the EU

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In the past a popular one was the Cessna wing spar ADs

AD’s are mandatory under any decent reg.
I believe you are referring to Cessna SID’s which is a group of multiple inspections for ageing aircraft structures, whose mandate used to be dependant on reg.

Last Edited by Antonio at 10 Feb 17:08
Antonio
LESB, Spain

It seems to me that this dealer suggested his all-inclusive service to you. You can do that yourself but it‘s paperwork to get if straightforward. see:
Gebuehren_pdf

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

Everyone has been saying for years that EASA to EASA is “just a paper exercise”

It may be, apart from the word “just” :-)

A while back I ran into a guy at Mandelieu who was preparing a very nice SR22 to deart. He explained that it was his first flight in a year. He had bought it on the SPanish register (EC) and had moved it to F, because of some issues with keeping it EC. It had taken a year and mountains of paperwork. I forget all the details, but it was a real horror story.

LFMD, France
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message