Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Yes, Silvaire, that’s what I was getting at. Experimental Owner Built category is off limits most likely as they require you to have built 51% of it. Exhibition is the only viable option, but I always thought there were some onerous conditions with that: that you could basically only fly to and from exhibitions. That would be very limiting and in my case, not an option. Maybe I misunderstood.

There were problematic issues in the past, mostly now gone. The worst was the ‘proficiency area’ geographic limitation, but that is as I understand is no longer applied to most Exp-EX aircraft. It depends on the sub-category which is why I mentioned aerobatic capability. You do still have to submit the annual program letter but it’s a one way communication, no receipt or approvals required, and you are not obligated to attend all (or any) of the events in your program. A DAR would have or could get the details.

Unless you yourself built it and can prove it with documentation, putting it in Exp-AB isn’t likely to happen. If you were the original builder the process with the DAR would be as though the plane had never flown, foreign sub-ICAO certification would be irrelevant, but is do-able.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Nov 18:43

AdamFrisch wrote:

All foreign registered aircraft can be flown in the US with FAA license

Regarding the aircraft itself, foreign Experimental-Amateur built aircraft normally need an SFA to operate in the US.

Last Edited by Dan at 05 Nov 18:04
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, Silvaire, that’s what I was getting at. Experimental Owner Built category is off limits most likely as they require you to have built 51% of it. Exhibition is the only viable option, but I always thought there were some onerous conditions with that: that you could basically only fly to and from exhibitions. That would be very limiting and in my case, not an option. Maybe I misunderstood.

Now, if it was on french register, I can fly it here, no questions asked. All foreign registered aircraft can be flown in the US with FAA license.

BTW, although very small, the Cri-Cri is a highly advanced plane to build that requires a lot of skill and shop experience. There’s a guy building a turboprop version right now in the US who’s created a YouTube channel and it’s not a good fit for a beginner without experience.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 05 Nov 17:01

If the plane were to operate in the US, the practical solution would be to put it in Experimental Exhibition category on N-register. The only major difference between that and amateur built is that the annual condition inspection logbook entries must be signed-off by a (non-IA) A&P mechanic. Maintenance and repairs can be done by anybody. You also need to file an annual program letter but it is non-binding, you don’t actually need to make those events. This is the same situation as for the TB30s, Yaks, ex-foreign military Marchettis and so on. If I understand correctly If the aircraft is aerobatic like the Cri-Cri that helps because it goes into a subset of Exp-Exb. which has few operating limitations. You’d need to talk with a DAR to get the details.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Nov 14:07

Yes it is Adam. You don’t have to be resident or even an EU passport holder to keep an F reg in France.
As an EU passport holder you would also have no limitation on the number of days you can stay and play with your toy.
You might want to get an EASA licence, though. There is a group of Cri Cri owners in France, who I am pretty sure would be happy to help and advise.
There are quite a number of Cri Cri in the USA. Michel Columban stopped selling plans there due to your litigation system.
He got caught once and although IIRC he won the court case he decided he would no longer sell the plans there.
I think you can get them on Yahoo or Ebay at about $10 or $20 but they are copies and not originals.
I also wouldn’t have thought they were that difficult to import into the USA. With the wings off it easily fits inside a shipping container on its trailer or even a cargo plane.
Silvaire would know about import as I’m pretty sure he knows why a guy here had to get his ex French military epsilon TB30 via the USA.

France

In which country?

Relevant thread on the French 28 day non-cert non-F-reg residence limit, but you are after the opposite, I think.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting.

Question – is it possible to keep it on F-reg as a EU passport holder but not a resident in France?

There are 2 cricri’s for sale at the moment on Planecheck

EBZW, Belgium

Adam, your posts here have made a fascinating reading and thank you for them.

It is sad to see you are packing it in.

But you will prob99 get back into flying, albeit at some “easier” level. I think that by buying an old twin turboprop you picked all three of the “hardest” factors at the same time

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just read through the whole thread since day one. Thank you for being so open with all the details, good and bad. Hopefully the experience viewed as a whole was a positive one – it sounds like one hell of a capable aeroplane to have owned.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
260 Posts
Sign in to add your message