Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Indeed; 3145 is noncorrosive. But the PPG stuff would be far better. Except it is probably unobtainable in Europe, due to “hazmat” as usual

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Mooney_Driver

Gaskets dry and leak, so will do this with the special inspection panel PRC. On the rivet joints, I’ll use the heavier tank style PRC. I don’t look forward to all the scraping and removing of old insulation glue.

On another note, engines run great. Took her out for my night currency last night to do 3 landings. Ended up going over to Chino and doing about 5 of them, was good fun. The new panel and panel lights are working really well and I’m getting more comfortable with the IFD540.

UMA-lighting around the analog gauges. The smaller engine instruments can’t be modified this way as they have a bezel, so there had to go with LED post lights.

On taxiway. Bad image, but it’s all I had time to get.

Back in the hangar after flight. Takes forever to align her up perfectly straight so as to nut bump anything…

Tight fit. That’s about as much room I have on the nose. That’s with about 1-2" of clearance of the flaps at the back. If the flaps are up, she won’t fit.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 01 Apr 16:31

Adam, can anybody else open the door on the adjoining hangar? I don’t know how accurately I can see the situation in the photos, but it looks like the nose extends over the rails. I always have to remind myself (for instance when parking a long car in the hangar, perhaps an XJ-S ) that if it extends too far the guy next door can open his door right into it.

Good point, Silvaire! I had actually not thought of that! I will have to investigate tomorrow, first thing. Good thing the guy is never there.

If only National Geographic or Discovery Channel made a series about your quest for the commander. That would have been great TV !

EBST, Belgium

AdamFrisch wrote:

Tight fit. That’s about as much room I have on the nose. That’s with about 1-2" of clearance of the flaps at the back. If the flaps are up, she won’t fit.

Is this just pure luck or was the hangar designed around a Turbo Commander?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Pure luck, or unluck, depending on viewpoint.

@Silvaire Checked the hangar doors yesterday and they can’t be rolled into mine as they’re T-hangars and next door is just a wall.

I agree with airways suggestion. For the next one, have a camera crew follow you around. You could probably sell a show to Discovery.
It could be like Wheeler Dealers, but for aircraft. Who amongst us wouldn’t watch that? Think of the suspense and peril of potentially expensive-to-fix problems, followed by a big payoff when it all comes together. TV gold, right there.

Last Edited by Finners at 03 Apr 15:17
EGTT, The London FIR

AdamFrisch wrote:

And after the mandatory SFRA training, it’s now also one of the safest, if not the safest TP twin.

If it’s safe why does it need mandatory training?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

AdamFrisch wrote:

@Silvaire Checked the hangar doors yesterday and they can’t be rolled into mine as they’re T-hangars and next door is just a wall.

Whew, that was lucky!

There are different ways to lay out T-hangars, in your case the (large) depth of a single hangar in relation to the building size means each hangar extends the full width of the row, so there’s a gap between hangar doors on each side of the row. With smaller T-hangars or a wider building, the back of each hangar extends only the opposing wing bay, not all the way to the other side of the building. That makes the doors continuous on both sides, and when you open your door it extends across the next guy’s hangar.

Pity the rectangle of ‘end unit’ space used for the bathroom space wasn’t included in the your hangar. With a high wing plane you have more floor space anyway, so that’s not as important… and you have a bathroom nearby, and water I have the extra space but have to walk to water.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Apr 18:30
Sign in to add your message