Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instrument rated, at last !

JasonC wrote:

Unfortunately it won’t solve Luxembourg fog but congratulations!

That’s not really what I’m worried about in itself, it’s the temperatures which go with the “low ceiling and fog” season.
Icing anyone ?

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

If it is only fog, you’ll be above the layer quickly. And there are often inversions.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

If it is only fog, you’ll be above the layer quickly. And there are often inversions.

I was thinking more about the landings….

EGTK Oxford

Congratulations!
You’ll never regret.

France

Congrats! It’s the best thing ever.

Congratulations!

EHTE, Netherlands

Nice, congratulations!

Enjoy, but don’t overdo it.

JasonC wrote:

I was thinking more about the landings….

Well, the very recent accidnet in EDDR shows what it can be like in the area…

Archie wrote:

Enjoy, but don’t overdo it.

I’m not sure what you mean here, but I’ll just be flying like before, except IFR and I’ll be careful with the minima (i.e. my minima)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

I am not sure about the value of “personal minima” significantly different from the IR minima (with the possible exception of drawing the line at 800m RVR, on the general grounds that you never landed off an approach where you couldn’t see the runway at minimum), provided you have a good alternate. Even if you are a bit rusty.

Here is why:

• if you can hold the ILS together down to the minimum, you land.
  • If it runs away from you, you might divert, or try again (ONCE) and then divert.
  • If you have to be so worried about your skill that you are concerned about the go-around, you shouldn’t be flying IFR at all.

Personal limits for icing (e.g., 2000ft between forecast freezing layer and minimum safe altitude when flying in cloud with no de-ice), CB (no flying with embedded CB without weather avoidance) or wind are more important, IMO.

You might want to modify this when in mountains, though…

Biggin Hill
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message