Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 430 (holding patterns)

Hi all,

I am a MEIR holder but now have a job flying some large twins. I have to do an OPC test soon and I just wanted to know the best way to use the Garmin 430 to help with my NDB holds??

I need to get into the 430 a bit more but depending on how much of it I am allowed to use (I believe quite a lot of it) what is the best way to get the most out of it??

Any help with a step by step process would be amazing!

Thanks

Mark

Have you downloaded the 430 sim (free)? AFAIK you can also bring up a 430 sim in X-Plane and fly scenarios with it.

Check out some youtube Videos. Search for GNS430, OBS, hold

This is one example:

Dear Mark,

congratulations for the opporunity. Are you looking for general guidance or only the specific thing NDB hold? I’d say if you are allowed to use a GNS430 for the hold (and this is not a tricky legal question whether GPS may substitute NDB), then treat the NDB hold like a RNAV hold. The explanation now depends on your equipment, do you have a glass panel, HSI (manual or automatic course select?) or a CDI only?

Best regards,
Tobias

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Hi all

Thanks for the all the quick responses!!

I did look over youtube but it is all american stuff and as I know they don’t have ndb’s!!

TobiBS, we just have a 430W with a HSI, we also have a RBI with non rotating card!! (Nice!).

I would need to use the NDB / RBI mainly, but I also allowed to have something on the gps for situational awareness and to help as long as I know how to use it!!

Thanks

Mark

TobiBS just at this stage to aid with NDB holds and approaches I guess….. Thanks

The 430 doesn’t have an ADF so you would set the NDB as a GPS waypoint.

Exactly the same as a VOR hold, or a hold around an intersection.

100% GPS regardless of the actual navaid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did look over youtube but it is all american stuff and as I know they don’t have ndb’s!!

That really doesn’t matter for the GNS430. You can dial in a VOR, intersection or NDB, they are all treated as RNAV waypoints. As you pointed out, you are flying with HSI, the video Flyer59 posted is what you are looking for.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

You just use the NDB as a GPS waypoint and with the OBS feature you set an inbound course to it.

You can also simply press DIRECT TO the waypoint and when the DCT TO screen opens you simply dial in the course you want to fly to that waypoint in the little course window. Then intercept that course, it’s the inbound course of the hold …

Load a DCT to the NDB in question. On the GNS430, set the OBS to manual and select the inbound course of the hold on your HSI. That will give you perfect guidance for the inbound track, almost as if it were a VOR hold. Once turning outbound, select the inbound course minus 90 on the HSI. That will give you guidance when you are abeam the station (when the needle goes through centre). On the outbound leg, use the track indication of the GNS430 to finetune your track. The track should be the inbound track minus 180, plus or minus any wind correction you might need for the drift during the turns. During the outbound leg, don’t forget to set the OBS back to the inbound course.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message