Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Peter wrote:

500ft/1500m is nearly useless IMHO. I go below that so often… and the times I do there are few other options.

Obviously, only the RVR is legal requirement…

Peter wrote:

Is it really just a skills test to get the full ICAO IR?

@Snoopy could confirm.

Peter wrote:

we don’t have it in the UK but clearly this is because the CAA didn’t want it.

Rumors were that the “UK FTO industry didn’t want it”, obviosly – there is no min hours requirement for BIR and the theory ask is even smaller than CBIR and close to the FAA IR.

EGTR

Don’t BIR have +250ft on any approach minima?
And with with new updated rules even more on alternativ aerodrome?

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Yes 500 feet is not sufficient. In my very very first IFR session I had to shoot an ILS down to minimums, ceiling was about 300 feet, visibility maybe 1km. That told me everything.

Germany

Rumors were that the “UK FTO industry didn’t want it”, obviosly – there is no min hours requirement for BIR and the theory ask is even smaller than CBIR and close to the FAA IR.

That may be true but a BIR or CBIR is worthless in attacking the revenue of FTOs since most of their business is the ME/CPL/IR (known as “frozen ATPL”) sausage machine, and that needs the “ATPL” exams – all 13.

The FTOs know by now that private pilots going to any IR is a negligible revenue, and anyway most FTOs don’t want that business.

I am all for a more accessible IR but a BIR + skills test = ICAO IR drives a tank through the whole “IR must be hard” philosophy which Europe has been running on since for ever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EASA FCL Appendix 6

Applicants for the competency-based modular IR who hold a BIR in accordance with point FCL.835 and who have received at least 10 hours of instrument flight time under instruction at an ATO may be credited towards the training course referred to in paragraph 4, provided that all competency-based instrument rating topics have been included in that BIR training, and assessed by the ATO that provides the competency-based modular flying training course.
10. Applicants for the competency-based modular IR who hold a BIR and have experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes, shall:
(a) at an ATO:
(i) be assessed as having an acceptable standard of competency-based instrument rating theoretical knowledge;
(ii) receive appropriate flight training to extend IFR privileges in accordance with FCL.605.IR;
(b) after completion of (a);
(i) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;
(ii) demonstrate orally to the examiner during the skill test that they have acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology, and flight planning and performance.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Not just a skills test then.

Administrator

Well, maybe a prep flight down to 200ft DA, and then a skill test.

always learning
LO__, Austria

In my ATO this translates into at least 15 hours of flight training. But maybe even more.

You know, to get cleared for a practical exam they require that not less than three instructors agree that you’re good enough for it.

Germany

Exactly – the reality of having somebody over a barrel

Administrator

@UdoR I think you will find that that is ATO specific.
10 hours at most ATOs here is usually thought of as plenty. Remembering you are also receiving the PBN attestation as well as flying to the lower minima. 10 hours soon flies by🙂

France
Sign in to add your message