Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

I’m in the process of writing new CB-IR books now (6 out of 7 are published), but if BIR will require its own books I will write them as well.

Last Edited by ErlendV at 12 Nov 18:46
FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Ibra wrote:

IRR theory

That is what used to be IMC rating, right? Do you have a link to the Theory for that?

Last Edited by huv at 12 Nov 21:33
huv
EKRK, Denmark

I don’t recall any list of TK LOs or QDB but the main reference book for IMCr theory was Air Pilots Manual Volume 5 by Trevor Thom

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Pilots-Manual-Vol-5/dp/1840371609

For questions & answers,
“IMC Confuser” and “IMC Rating Questions and Answers Simplifier”

Few guides,
http://www.takeflightaviation.co.uk/uploads/4/2/1/2/42128469/imc_ground_school_-_course_notes_take_flight_aviation.pdf

https://freedomaviation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IRR-Study-Package_Jun18.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 22:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I very much doubt the BIR theory will be in any way based on the IMCR theory. The latter was packed with dodgy questions on the nav calcs which assumed you used a slide rule and made the errors in a specific direction!

I suspect the BIR theory will be out of the JAA ATPL QB, like the EASA IR and the CB IR theory QBs are. That saves anybody having to use their imagination and tackling the old question of what a pilot actually needs to know, and in the process admitting that nearly all the ATPL QB questions are garbage

The success of the BIR will depend massively on whether it can all be done at your local PPL school… but hey everybody has known this since for ever as being the key reason why almost no private pilot in Europe does the European IR, and the CB IR has failed to address this and thus has done little to improve the situation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ErlendV wrote:

I’m in the process of writing new CB-IR books now (6 out of 7 are published),

Where are these published then ?

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

almost no private pilot in Europe does the European IR, and the CB IR has failed

JAR-FCL killed the PPL-IR at the start of the millennium. Until CB-IR, PPLs simply did not get an instrument rating in Europe. With CB-IR, I have seen a significant number of PPLs getting it, although not at “your local PPL (club) school”.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I think the CB IR has improved things but not a lot. We had a thread here a while ago on the annual issues; I can’t find it right now. I don’t know which countries publish the stats but the UK CAA IR issues rose only a little with the CB IR. Perhaps 50% up but from a very low base, so nothing even remotely approaching the improvement many wished to bring adoption numbers somewhere nearer the US scene. Of course in the meantime the FAA IR option has been crippled in Europe (written exams no longer possible here, etc) so the “Euro IR” is more important overall.

The “local PPL school” aspect is key to substantially improving numbers, and is exactly what you have in the US (PPL CPL IR ATP CFI CFII all at your local school) but it runs counter to industry revenue protection and political objectives.

EDIT: on a quick and dirty look here the CBIR era is showing roughly a doubling of the IR issues to PPL holders. About 2% of PPLs are getting an IR, though one can’t tell for sure because the PPL to which the IR is being added was usually done many years earlier. In the US, numbers from 20% to 40% are being mentioned.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The IR problem for me is getting through the theory. I hope that once I do, the practical aspect will be a welcome challenge…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

The “local PPL school” aspect is key to substantially improving numbers, and is exactly what you have in the US (PPL CPL IR ATP CFI CFII all at your local school) but it runs counter to industry revenue protection and political objectives.

Well, with BIR it allows for almost all prep to be done at the local school and then part 3 (enroute) can be done completely at locally as well, while part 1 (handingling) and 2 (approaches) have to be completed at the ATO, but no minimum hours.

I think @tmo is right here; if the theory is minimal, then it is going to be very benefitial to getting BIR.

I’ve seen no information on where do I have to pass my exams for BIR.
Although for me EIR was a good option as a step to get to CB/IR, the costs (comparing to IR(R)) and Brexit uncertainty stopped me.

EGTR

huv wrote:

That all makes sense, except I cannot find any LOs tables with BIR in the AMC. I am surely missing something. @bookworm, can you please point me in the right direction

Something went wrong in the publication. The appendices with the LOs should have been published and will be published “very soon, maybe today”.

Sign in to add your message