Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR theory acceptable for the BIR?

Hi SvenHz,

Does the DGAC accept CB-IR theory to obtain the BIR?
I’ve received the reply below that CB-IR theory cannot be used to obtain the BIR.
(The matter still confuses me based on Easa FAQ 137737)

I’d like to learn if any other easa countries have decided differently?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Following your previous email, we would like to inform you of the following. The answer previously given by ILT is correct. The (complete) IR theory can be used to obtain a BIR. The CB-IR theory cannot be used to obtain the BIR. This is because the CB-IR theory does not fully cover the learning objectives of the BIR. This can be derived from the learning objectives described in Appendix to AMC1 FCL.310; FCL.515(b); FCL.615(b).

This is also evident from the answer in the EASA FAQ 137737: ‘…or also for credit towards the Basic IR…’. The word ‘credit’ indicates that exemptions can be obtained on the basis of the CB-IR theory, but that the theory is not fully comprehensive for obtaining the BIR.

Do you have any further questions? Please contact us by replying to this email.

We would like to hear your opinion about our service. Would you like to answer a few short questions? Click here. Thank you for your cooperation.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport
…………………………………………………………
Postbus 16191 | 2500 BD | Den Haag
…………………………………………………………
T 088 – 489 00 00 (lokaal tarief)
Last Edited by PaulD at 07 Mar 13:35
EHEH, Netherlands

PaulD wrote:

This is because the CB-IR theory does not fully cover the learning objectives of the BIR.

I’d like to know exactly what those LO’s are! (On the other hand, as the discussion about racetracks in another thread has shown, there are some surprising omissions in the CB-IR LO’s.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

accept CB-IR theory to obtain the BIR?

I don’t understand why someone would go through the arduous process of passing CBIR theory exams and then wants to end up with a BIR? Doesn’t make sense.

The main advantage of BIR is less MCQestions in the question bank and no requirement to fly a prescribed amount of hours.

Fun fact: Many ATOs just exchanged cover letter of CBIR course with BIR and got it approved by the authority.

always learning
LO__, Austria

“Does the DGAC accept CB-IR theory to obtain the BIR?”

Hi PaulD, I have no idea. I got a reasonably fast answer to my question (in French) via this address and forwarded the answer to KIWA:

[email protected]

EHLE, Netherlands
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message