Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADHD query for a LAPL

NPPL you can’t fly Part-21 aircraft

A UK Part-21 aeroplane may be flown within the privileges of an SSEA class rating included in a UK NPPL. Art 3(3) in the UK Aircrew Regulation (link).

London, United Kingdom

Ah I see, right. So for NPPL you need to do a pilot medical declaration right? That’s reassuring.

EGKR, United Kingdom

Toby wrote:

So for NPPL you need to do a pilot medical declaration right?

For NPPL you need DVLA Group1 ODL: car drivers medical but there is no requirement to hold car diving license, if you satisfy DVLA G1 ODL to drive a car you can fly on NPPL using UK pilot medical declaration (PMD), the questionnaire is done through that 1980-design website from CAA medical department

It all started here,

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201397%20APR16.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Sep 15:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ll end up using NPPL as a last resort. Will continue with the medical I paid for, for now.

EGKR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

…the AME isn’t going to find anything

Well, there is slightly more to it than what you say and even though I walked into the AME’s office myself he did find something which was totally unexpected.

For the heart you need at least an ECG treadmill (probably £400 plus a cardio consultation, so ~£1k)

I actually had to do that. (Well, not treadmill but an exercise bike which amounts to the same thing.) It was about £200 and the AME did the ECG assessment himself.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

even though I walked into the AME’s office myself he did find something which was totally unexpected.

It would be interesting what it was, but I understand you may not want to post it.

I’ll end up using NPPL as a last resort. Will continue with the medical I paid for, for now.

I agree; you can always fall back to the PMD, and this can be done legitimately even after you fail a Class 2 with an AME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I agree; you can always fall back to the PMD, and this can be done legitimately even after you fail a Class 2 with an AME.

Ah that’s really good to know too. I’m sure im 95% of the way there anyway with my Class 2. I applied for a class 2 but AME’s gonna reject me and give me a LAPL instead as my eyes aren’t good enough (this is assuming everything else is okay, and eyes can’t be corrected), but I knew that from the start anyway.

Gotta wait and see what the next couple months bring, hopefully it’ll be all sorted by then. I’m expecting it will.

Last Edited by Toby at 06 Sep 18:39
EGKR, United Kingdom

This may happen one day. Then the UK LAPL will probably be identical to the NPPL. It already is, except for the FI CPL concession (see link above).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To be fair if they end up getting merged, as long as it doesn’t impact the ability to fly in the UK certified A/C then realistically im happy with that

But yea I’ll keep pushing with the LAPL so far, and see how we go.

Sad thing is my eyes got 6/9 in my good eye, and Class 2 needs 6/7.5. Both my eyes together work out at 6/6 – if I got that 6/7.5 (my optician said I did but optomertrist said 6/9) I could be on a class 2.

Tempted to appeal as the optomertrist said both my eyes together are graded at 6/6.. He suggested I should. Anyone got any experience on that?

Last Edited by Toby at 06 Sep 19:04
EGKR, United Kingdom
Tempted to appeal as the optomertrist said both my eyes together are graded at 6/6.. He suggested I should. Anyone got any experience on that?

But that’s for another time, for now I want to get the actual medical.

EGKR, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message