Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My journey as an American pilot (PPL-A + IR) transitioning to Europe

No nothing to do with the CBM IR. The art 12(4) derogation was a quick fix pending the coming into force of the conversion agreement with the US.

London, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

The only place you’ll find Class D used in the US is around an airport, and it extends to the ground, so we say simply Class D and it conveys the meaning. We actually only refer to almost any airspace by the class (A, B, C or D), because in each case the class conveys the function.

I haven’t mentioned class D. I’m referring to FAR 91.157 which uses the phrase “the airspace contained by the upward extension of the lateral boundaries of the controlled airspace designated to the surface for an airport.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

I still wonder if SVFR in US Echo is controlled traffic?

Yes. FAR 91.157(b)(1) states that SVFR should have a clearance. No distinction is made between different airspace classes.

also are there any European countries with Echo airspace starting from SFC?

I wouldn’t think so as SERA.6001(a)(5) specifically says that E should not be used for control zones.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I haven’t mentioned class D. I’m referring to FAR 91.157 which uses the phrase “the airspace contained by the upward extension of the lateral boundaries of the controlled airspace designated to the surface for an airport.”

In common US usage phrase that would be said “the airport Class B, C or D surface area”. No need to describe it in other that ‘letter’ terms, so we don’t.

If it were a smaller controlled airport under discussion, we would say only “Anytown Class D” because AFAIK all US Class D is associated with an airport and goes to the ground.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Sep 20:07

Excellent write up Dutch_flyer, thank you, very informative

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

A quick update on this for anyone who finds it later. Kiwa (the licensing authority in NL) has come back asking me to “prove” all my IFR logbook entries with copies of flight plans. So now I have to very carefully review all my meticulous records to uncover 20 years’ worth of flight plans. Just a warning for anyone else who cares to embark on this path…

EHRD, Netherlands

That’s horrible because a lot of IFR flights may not have a flight plan, or it may have been filed via an agency which has disappeared.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I hope this doesn’t happen to me in France, because it would be completely impossible. Where on earth would you go to get them? I don’t suppose the FAA has recorded them and for sure I haven’t. Otoh, I guess there’s nothing to stop you just making them up, though it would be a lot of work.

I guess the Dutch (and other EASA) authorities have no notion of pop-up filing, which is how probably 50% of my IFR flying was done in the US.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

That’s horrible because a lot of IFR flights may not have a flight plan, or it may have been filed via an agency which has disappeared.

johnh wrote:

I guess the Dutch (and other EASA) authorities have no notion of pop-up filing, which is how probably 50% of my IFR flying was done in the US.

Exactly. The requirement itself is clearly written by someone who has no experience with IFR flight plans in the US. I’m hoping to scrape together sufficient documentation using a combination of FAA flight plan forms and ForeFlight screen grabs. I’ve set up a call with the DE who did my skill test to strategize on the best way to handle it, as he clearly understands the difficulty of the task.

EHRD, Netherlands

That happens when you have people sitting there im the CAAs who don‘t know how flying actually „works“…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Sep 14:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message