Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stavanger ENZV & Preikestolen

Boscomantico wrote at the beginning of his last trip report: “There is little going on on the forum right now, and I guess most of us have very few stories left to tell from this past flying season.”
Obviously this is true. Nevertheless I have to contribute a short report about our four days journey to Stavanger and the famous Preikestolen in September 2020. Inspired by a trip to Southern Norway in 2019 to Fyresdal and Kristiansand we decided to discover Norway further step by step since longer journeys are difficult to plan in Norway due to unstable weather in that region as you all know.
From Germany it is possible to fly direct from every little airfield to Norway without any Customs check on departure. Even the Arrival on a small airfield in Norway without Customs is possible. However on the return flight Custom checks are necessary on both Norway and Germany.
While arriving in Southern Norway a nice scattered scenery was predominant with Temps around 20°C on the Ground. A beautiful mountainous landscape invites for walking and hiking tours.

On the vectored arrival to RW 18 the Lysefjord could be seen at the beginning. In the far distance on the left side of the Fjord the Preikestolen, also known as Pulpit Rock, is waiting for us.

The surroundings of Stavanger are flat land, fine for long biking tours.

Weak southerly winds on the ILS RW 18.

Wind is not an issue since the airport has crossed runways.

A huge GA apron has plenty of room for a fly in.
Although we were promised to be taken to the terminal after the announcement of our landing via e-mail, we had to follow the Follow me car for one kilometer on our bicycles until the security check. The Bromptons fulfil their purpose very well here too. Arriving crews are checked, the luggage is x-rayed. After this check we also had to have our passports checked by the police on the second floor of the terminal building. What a questionable procedure.
Finally out of the building we were able to take the bus to the city quickly without long waiting times.The buses run regularly, the trip there and back costs about twenty euros.

We were very satisfied with our hotel (Scandic Royal Stavanger), but it was quite ugly from the outside.
The buildings of the sixties and seventies disfigure large parts of the city.

Nevertheless, there are still pretty houses and streets from the better times to see.

We took our dinner in a good fish restaurant at the harbour. Prices are very high, one glass of beer costs 9 Euro!

Two days later we found a good Thai restaurant. Masks were not an issue, shopping in the supermarket or visiting a restaurant was possible without any problems.
For a visit of the Preikestolen it is advisable to take the bus. The bus starts in front of the Radisson-Hotel and stops after 39 kilometers at the beginning of the trail. On this way the bus drives through the longest tunnel of the World ( 14.4 km, 292 meters deep below the see) .

The blue photo is not my photo, sorry for that, but it shows the tunnel at it`s best.
The scenically beautiful trail leads in two hours first through flat terrain and then climbs, the destination is stunning.

There are plenty of beautiful spots to rest along the trail of this hiking trip. Sturdy shoes are important. Just in case you should have a rain jacket with you.

The glacial rock formation that makes up Preikestolen, towers 604 meters above the Lysefjord. And here there is the Pulpit Rock.

The flight and the hike were worth it, a clear recommendation for imitation.
Unfortunately there are also negative things to report. When arriving at the terminal building of the Stavanger Airport 1,5 hours before our flight home we did not find a way to the Apron. Even at the information desk the clerks where clueless how to handle private pilots.

Fortunately I remembered that we parked at the Aeroclub. So we drove with our bikes along the fence to the Aeroclub and were happy to see a flight instructor on the apron. After loud shouting he kindly opened a door in the fence for us. So we came back to our Cessna without a Customs check.

A huge GA apron has plenty of room for a fly in. On the right side of this photo one can see the fuel station. 100 LL costs 1,79 Euro.

But this was not the end of the story. When ready I asked for start up and clearance.
Controller: “ Your flight plan is suspended due to military training in Denmark”.
He kindly tried to revalidate the FP but failed. A telephone call to German AIS resolved the problem while sitting in the plane. Ten minutes later we got a new FP and where ready to go to our next destination Lübeck, which we chose for a Customs check only.
Two months after our return we received the invoice from the airport: 23 Euro only!

Berlin, Germany

I have been at Preikestolen one time. That’s enough for me. Looking at the crazy people sitting on the edge dangling with their feet, why?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Amazing pics but eye-watering prices indeed (except the fuel) !

Thanks for the report. We have little flying content to share now…

LFOU, France

Really awesome photos – many thanks for your report!

You had great wx for it, too.

Yes indeed very little flying was done in 2020. I reckon the average must be at least 50% down on normal, and far fewer international trips.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

highflyer wrote:

Prices are very high, one glass of beer costs 9 Euro!

You found a cheap beer then :-)

ENVA, Norway

Nice sunny trip report, waiting for this nightmare to end to get a on nordic tour !

highflyer wrote:

We took our dinner in a good fish restaurant at the harbour. Prices are very high, one glass of beer costs 9 Euro!

I recall we bought O/R tickets to Norway for 20Euros with RyanAir for a weekend flight in winter just because it was fun, the flight was far more cheaper than two beers and pack of nuts on arrival, let alone the restaurant menu, after going back on Sunday, I was glad life was damn cheap in west London !

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Dec 11:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message