Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerial sightseeing in southern Norway

By a somewhat roundabout route (Biggin Hill – Hebrides – Faroes – North Iceland – Faroes) we’ve ended up in Bergen ENBR.

On Monday we’re planning to head south, starting with some VFR sightseeing. The current plan is to take it slow and VFR to Kristiansand, then refuel and go IFR in a straight line to Copenhagen (Roskilde EKRK).

Any advice on what to see and where to land on the way to Kristiansand?

EGEO

Bergen will be your visual highlight if you don’t plan for anything more northern but for refuelling I would suggest Stavanger where a lonely automatic pump exists that lets you choose taxfree fuel for export ;) If you have a weekly landing voucher your technical turnaround time can’t be beaten.

EDLN and EDKB

Folgefonn (glacier) and the Lysefjord are roughly on track… The Lysefjord has the famous Prekestolen (pulpit rock) protruding out at 2000ft above water at one end rising to over 3000ft at the Kjerag (famous for BASE jumping) end…all magnificent scenery…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preikestolen

Flying up the Lysefjord just below the top from one end to the other used to be a staple for taking my friends flying when I lived in Stavanger….just BEWARE of the power lines that are strung across the fjords….usually around 500ft above the water and marked on the charts (including SD)….and I believe they have improved their conspicuity with strobes etc…. The safest (zero risk) way is to stay level with the top of the sides and fly in the middle…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 15 May 04:54
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Thanks Anthony and @mrfacts, I think we’ll have fun!

Lysefjord sounds great, we’re also thinking of detouring north via Sognefjord.

EGEO

any iceland photos?

EGTK Oxford

any iceland photos?

+1 I’ve love to see some Iceland photos too!

EIWT Weston, Ireland
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message