Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SPL recency requirements

If I fly single seat sailplanes regularly does it still mean that I have to do two flights with an instructor(FCL.230.S) every two years?! Two seaters our club has are quite different in performance, flying and seating position compared to single seaters. What’s the point of doing those checks?

As I understand, this is a matter of national regulations. Such is at least the situation here in BE. Gliders, like balloons and ultralights, being considered “sub-EASA” which means it is left to the individual countries to set up their own regulations.

You appear to be on a Lithuanian license, perhaps better check locally?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@Turbavykas – yes, the requirement still applies. The 5 hours / 15 launches / 2 flights with instructor It is the equivalent of the 12 hours / 1 hour with instructor for the PPL(A). Even if the PPL holder is only flying aeros in single seater Extra 300 SCs or Spitfires, he/she will need that flight.

In a currenet NPA, the EASA overregulator is actually specifying what has to be trained in these flights (SPL and PPL), because the comittee didn’t get the “stop regulating the curvature of bananas” message.

@Jan_Olieslagers – yes, several countries had national glider licences with administration delegated to aeroclubs or somesuch (e.g., UK), and others administered by the CAA (e.g., Germany). EASA-FCL includes a European glider licence, and this is what Turbavykas appears to write about. This does not mean that all countries use or issue them, so Belgium still has the national glider licence, like the UK has the NPPL (National PPL) with a simpler medical for powered flight.

The main difference is that, since gliders itself are not EASA aircraft, there is no requirement for an EASA licence, so the national glider licence remains useful on all gliders registered in the country of the licence, while a national PPL is not valid on EASA aircraft, only on “Annex II” aircraft so is less useful.

Hence I would guess that, unless the national NAA forces a transition, most glider pilots couldn’t care less about EASA licences.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 14 Jul 22:52
Biggin Hill

Aren’t gliders EASA aircraft? They have certification as others EASA aircraft and all the paperwork required.

Gliders are EASA aircrafts except oldies. But a lot of NAA have exemption in place (until April 18 for the UK). Also there is an global exemption from part-NCO. No exemption from part-M afaik.

There is currently a working group on a part-Gliding for ops and license

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message