Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southampton EGHI going for GA traffic! (and maybe others?)

Back to the theme of the original post I did a renewal a few days ago and was actually able to do the approaches into Bristol. They have previously shunned training flights but I guess they aren’t so busy at the moment.

The deal at Gloucester is better, but the last twice I have been there they were on the wrong runway for the approaches we needed to do, so we ended up meeting the examiner there and going elsewhere fo the approaches.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’ve always found Newquay friendly, easy and good value for money.

But as you say, appointing a based flying school to ‘handle’ light GA is not strictly necessary. A certain type of airport management has never really got their heads around the idea that a website and a coded access gate is all that’s really necessary.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

Just read somewhere that EGHI is selling a 30 min slot for approach practice, for £30.

I have done it a couple of times in August and September. It is £30 for a 30 minute slot, which is 2 approaches basically, as you probably won’t have time for more than that if you fly the full procedure.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Sure, but the airport income from GA would at least double if they didn’t use a handler.

Payments are easy; you can have a website for that. A handler for light GA is a total waste of space.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve had quite a good experience with FlyNewquay to be honest. They’ve always made us feel very welcome.

EGTF, LFTF

Yesterday was a programme on the TV about Newquay EGHQ which looks like it will go bust because of Flybe’s bankrupcy.

They never did anything to attract GA; like so many they subbed the GA “dirty business” to a handler who did nothing other than to put a bit on top. And even now, GA doesn’t feature in their plans. They have enough hangars to hangar the whole RAF and enough tarmac to park every airworthy mil jet in Europe and they could really become an excellent destination for GA all the way to bizjets.

Of course this will never make up the “Flybe easy money”, and the UK’s “boycott every airport over £10” movement, so prominent on social media, probably makes it impossible anyway.

Exactly the same if the “airline” serving the Scilly Isles packs up. Will they tarmac a GA apron? Of course not. Such a wonderful destination. Mind you, I reckon crashing an Aztec there on the ILS in zero-zero (only kidding, but the commercials could not depart due to wx) didn’t help GA reputation; they were quite nice before that.

Administrator

Great, I’ll plan a training flight there!

always learning
LO__, Austria

A field just a bit south LQBK invites pilots to practice for free in order to keep up controllers in shape.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Booking 30 min slots for approaches… what a crazy world. Is it just me who finds this ridiculous?

A proper airport nearby with ILS (LJMB) charges 26,4€ landing fee wich includes up to 6 approaches/landings.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Just read somewhere that EGHI is selling a 30 min slot for approach practice, for £30.

Administrator
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message