Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southampton EGHI going for GA traffic! (and maybe others?)

That’s Oxford Airport. Southampton is likely different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

There is, in their fees and charges document. It’s called “NAV fee” and applies “whether training or not”.

So there is, but how do you navigate to that document on their website?

All I can find is this.

There is also a reference in your docuent to slots/bookings, which of course I did not have/make.

It doesn’t matter much, I was just curious.

EGLM & EGTN

Don’t navigate websites. The easiest is always to use google and search for “xxx airport fees and charges”. The first hit lead you to that document.
If you read the entire document with all its small print, you get the idea that their intention is to charge extra for each and every instrument approach, whatever the purpose or circumstance.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Not for me it doesn’t. The first hit I get on your suggested search term is the link I posted. Your document is dated October last year.

I tend to go in through the front door of a website. Apart from anything else, it gives you a feel for whether they bother to keep it up to date or not.

EGLM & EGTN

Just read somewhere that EGHI is selling a 30 min slot for approach practice, for £30.

Administrator

Booking 30 min slots for approaches… what a crazy world. Is it just me who finds this ridiculous?

A proper airport nearby with ILS (LJMB) charges 26,4€ landing fee wich includes up to 6 approaches/landings.

always learning
LO__, Austria

A field just a bit south LQBK invites pilots to practice for free in order to keep up controllers in shape.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great, I’ll plan a training flight there!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yesterday was a programme on the TV about Newquay EGHQ which looks like it will go bust because of Flybe’s bankrupcy.

They never did anything to attract GA; like so many they subbed the GA “dirty business” to a handler who did nothing other than to put a bit on top. And even now, GA doesn’t feature in their plans. They have enough hangars to hangar the whole RAF and enough tarmac to park every airworthy mil jet in Europe and they could really become an excellent destination for GA all the way to bizjets.

Of course this will never make up the “Flybe easy money”, and the UK’s “boycott every airport over £10” movement, so prominent on social media, probably makes it impossible anyway.

Exactly the same if the “airline” serving the Scilly Isles packs up. Will they tarmac a GA apron? Of course not. Such a wonderful destination. Mind you, I reckon crashing an Aztec there on the ILS in zero-zero (only kidding, but the commercials could not depart due to wx) didn’t help GA reputation; they were quite nice before that.

Administrator

I’ve had quite a good experience with FlyNewquay to be honest. They’ve always made us feel very welcome.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message