Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Search function

Peter wrote:

One thing that has come to light recently is that the username (if specified) needs to be all lowercase (even if the actual username has uppercase letters) for the search to work correctly.

This is fixed now. You can type Peter or peter or PETER or even PeTeR and you’ll get the same results. What you search for is case insensitive except for boolean operators like AND or OR. So:

headset AND adapter

and

headset AND Adapter

will return the same results. However:

headset and adapter

will return something quite different, because it will look for any of those words, whereas with AND it will look for a post that contains both those words. It actually won’t look for the word ‘and’ either way because it’s one of a small number of words, like “it”, “the”, “he” etc. which are excluded from searches.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One thing

We used to call these “things” bugs in the old days

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

One thing that has come to light recently is that the username (if specified) needs to be all lowercase (even if the actual username has uppercase letters) for the search to work correctly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finally!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Now I’ve made my point that ordering by date is flawed I’ve added the option to sort either by date or by relevance, and thrown in order by poster for good measure. To keep the interface simple you can’t select it when you first do a search, but you can select your sort order on the results page.

Administrator

I have been testing the date-based search and – for my usage at least – it is much worse than the previous relevance based search. The latter applied various weighting factors in the algorithm e.g. the subject name having a greater weight than the body.

Given the tendency on EuroGA to have thread titles which are descriptive of the discussion (something all the other forums don’t particularly bother with, and I often edit the thread titles to improve relevance where required) this yields vastly better search results than a purely date based search.

I think it would be better to revert to the previous, and users should consider using more specific search terms e.g. the AND operator, and " " quotes and perhaps ( ) brackets if necessary.

The full works on search terms can be found here.

Indeed google, with site:euroga.org, is very much more clever, but then that is google They make billions out of running a search engine. That is a good alternative.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Has anyone tried the new search?

Not much but a few searches. If sorting by the user is not an option, I find sort by date better as relevance is quite difficult when you search e.g. for “camera”.

By the way, I mostly search euroga in google, e.g.:

https://www.google.ch/search?q=camera+site%3Aeuroga.org

That gives relatively good results and google craws euroga very often, so even threads from an hour ago can be found.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Has anyone tried the new search?

Administrator

As I’ve described in the past, I think there are subtle but important issues with sorting by date.

As an experiment I’ve now changed it to give results by date, most recent first. Ironically, having made the change, now when I search on search order in order to find the post I wanted to link to above, it doesn’t come up in the first five pages of results. It would presumably come up eventually but I stopped looking after five. Before the change from ordering by relevance it came up first, because it was the most relevant because of lots of mentions of those words in the thread.

So we’ll see how it goes, but for now, they’re ordered by date.

Administrator

From here

I second that!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message