Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restarting the TB20

If it was restarted indeed, chances are pretty high that it would get a glass cockpit indeed. Nothing else makes any sense today, not cost wise nor with regards of appeal.

The TB20/21 series is one of the most comfortable and versatile SEP´s ever designed and built on the retracable “family van” class of planes. I would think that it would have a chance in a new version, if it is state of the art. That means EFIS, that means they should at least look at a diesel version for the European and Chinese market. And they would have to get cost under control so it is not more expensive than the competitors. 500-600k could be quite acceptable in today´s market.

A new SR22 is in the 600-700k range to the best of my knowledge, possibly more. We can check in Friedrichshafen. All the manufacturers are in this price class these days.

If BRS was the killer argument, Cirrus would be the only player left on the market. Well, while it is doing well, it is not the only player. So there are people who still fly comfortably without one, otherwise the Cessna 172 would be as dead as the whole RANS, Lancair and other experimental brands who fly happily without it. Clearly, in new designs which have the possibilities to include one, it should be considered. But it is not yet mandated by the regulators in new designs, no matter how much the Cirrus crowd would wish for that. Which actually might backfire on them as then they would loose their sales pitch if everyone had it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But it is not yet mandated by the regulators in new designs, no matter how much the Cirrus crowd would wish for that.

What does that mean? Actually the “Cirrus crowd” couldn’t care less about what other manufacturers do, and for Cirrus as a Company it’s really better if nobody else does it. But companies that don’t see how big a difference offering a BRS/CAPS system makes will have a hard time in the future. Actually the best that can happen to Cirrus is if Cessna, Beech, Piper do not offer a new BRS equipped model in the next years ….

(Here’s the latest pricelist)

http://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2015-SR22-Export-Pricesheet.pdf

I second that a restart TB20 would meet zero demand. It would not be significantly cheaper than a Cirrus and it would not be able to compete. It’s a private touring aircraft (as opposed to flight school work horses like C172) and there Cirrus just got the right product.

If BRS was the killer argument, Cirrus would be the only player left on the market.

Actually, it is. Look at the GAMA numbers and compare it to the other offerings in the “SEP personal touring” category. Don’t forget that the TB never really made a dent in the US and the brand name is not strong at all. Even the strongest brand in GA — Cessna — sold zero 182s and just a few 400s which were probably on backorder.

The restart is not going to happen.

Has any European company made a dent in the USA – outside niche markets?

A good few hundred TBs were sold in the USA, which is not bad.

The restart is not going to happen.

Probably true, but for other reasons.

Actually the best that can happen to Cirrus is if Cessna, Beech, Piper do not offer a new BRS equipped model in the next years ….

The problem with that argument is that it can work for you and against you, both at the same time You have to be careful how you word it.

Socata did a G1000 panel, way back, but I never saw any mockup or an illustration. I don’t think the current centre stack would have worked with it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Has any European company made a dent in the USA – outside niche markets?

GA is dominated by the US market which means you have to succeed there in order to succeed at all. There is no European perspective to certified GA with the exception of diesel engines but the US manufacturers have picked up that trend recently. Therefore I would assume restarting the Mooney is pointless but less pointless than restarting the TB…

Many European companies are very successful in the US BTW. Just look at the trade balance.

hello Peter
i could not resist lol

Corsica is still part of France ( i know some of them dont like it that way, but for now it is)

so that means more or less that UK workers produce in a 5 day week more or less the same as France Germay until Thursday (thats why maybe working hours in the UK are so high – to do some catch up mmmhhhh less time for flying)
so like this the germans have more time to be on the beach with there towel well ahead of the Brits

fly2000

I would not make any claims for UK productivity… people here kill themselves to maintain their desired lifestyle.

Sorry for the Corsica mistake – brain not in gear

Administrator

“Has any European company made a dent in the USA – outside niche markets?”

Pilatus – built in the most expensive manufacturing country of the world.

As a proof that you can do it if you don’t sell something that looks like it’s worth 100k max for 700k USD.

Very much so – the PC12 is a fine example of being able to absorb a massive labour cost. But the market accepts that.

The OEM cost of an IO540 is of the order of $30k… what is the OEM cost of a G1000?

Administrator

>>>>> The problem with that argument is that it can work for you and against you, both at the same time

Me? I really have nothing to do with Cirrus. I just bought one of their products. And even though i know their founder and like their products, i have no deeper emotions for things. I would like a Mooney or Beech Bonanza just as much – if it had the same level of integration and BRS

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 02 Apr 11:13
Sign in to add your message