Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requesting a basic service or a traffic service

Also remember today on a traffic service you can’t change your altitude without informing the controller.

From a training point of view that restriction might not be convenient.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

From a training point of view that restriction might not be convenient.

In general I would say that having excessive chatter on the radio when instructing a pre-solo PPL is not helpful, so it tends to be basic mostly to be on frequency with other aircraft in the training area. What is best here really depends on where you train.

For example, the area I instructed most was south of Southend (before their Class D) so we were on frequency with them and on very friendly terms. We helped them (for example, we were happy to “work” in particular areas when they asked us so they could maintain separation for an Easyjet Airbus on approach), and they helped us (they once rescued my butt by warning me of an imminent class A infringement when I got distracted in a particularly difficult lesson)

From the second navigation sortie onwards, however, the flights are conducted as proper cross-country flights and the student needs to learn and later practice ATC liaison en-route. Why teach them using a crappy basic service when a traffic service is available?

Last Edited by Cobalt at 03 Jun 20:34
Biggin Hill
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message