Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traffic or Deconfliction Service in OCAS from London Control

Has anyone had any experience as to whether it is routinely possible to get Traffic or Deconfliction Service from London Control in areas that are not served by LARS or where a LARS unit is not working (various ones on weekends). I am asking as on my flight from Oxford to Fairoaks today I was offered a Traffic Service on track KENET-ROVUS by London Control when cleared to descend and entering uncontrolled airspace (below 4,500 ft) before I got handed over to Farnborough Radar.

I found in AIP ENR 1.6 the following text:

1.3 ATS Surveillance Service Outside Controlled Airspace

1.3.1 London Control – Requests for Deconfliction Service or Traffic Service

1.3.1.1 In order to avoid excessive RTF conversations on the frequencies used by ‘London Control’, pilots who intend to request such a service from ‘London Control’ are to make their initial request on the London Information frequency appropriate to their geographical position. The FISO will co-ordinate with the appropriate Radar Sector and subsequently inform the pilot whether or not a Deconfliction Service or Traffic Service can be provided and, if so, on what frequency.

1.3.1.2 Pilots should note that no Deconfliction Service or Traffic Service will be available on any London Control Frequency below FL 70. In any case a serviceable transponder will be a pre-requisite for either service.

I was indeed initially flying at FL 70 before being cleared for descent.

In other words, if one were to fly e.g. from the London area Caernarfon on weekends, which essentially means flying long segments without LARS coverage, but at FL 70 or higher but below the level covered by Western Radar, would it be possible to request Traffic or Deconfliction Service from London Control? Has anyone tried that before?

Wolfgang

Last Edited by wbardorf at 27 Jan 20:39
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I never get anything other than basic from LC outside.

EGTK Oxford

On various trips from the UK SE to Ireland, I got a traffic service from Weston Radar all the way to the FIR boundary but had to remain <FL70 otherwise it became a basic service. I just called them up on 132.3.

Simoon wrote:

On various trips from the UK SE to Ireland, I got a traffic service from Weston Radar all the way to the FIR boundary but had to remain <FL70 otherwise it became a basic service. I just called them up on 132.3.

Western Radar is different and will give a traffic or deconfliction service.

EGTK Oxford

Simoon wrote:

I have not tried Western Radar at that level as the AIP suggests that Western Radar is available only between FL 100 and FL 195. Were you able to get them to provide you with a radar-based service at lower levels such as FL 70 or even <FL70?

Wolfgang

Does anyone have experience getting a Traffic or Deconfliction Service from London Control outside of controlled airspace at FL70 as described in the AIP?

Wolfgang

wbardorf wrote:

I have not tried Western Radar at that level as the AIP suggests that Western Radar is available only between FL 100 and FL 195. Were you able to get them to provide you with a radar-based service at lower levels such as FL 70 or even <FL70?

Wolfgang

Sorry error in my original post, I had to remain above FL70 for the traffic service from Western Radar, below FL70 it is a basic service only.

Simon

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message